Wireless device not working

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dEhiN

Wireless device not working

Post by dEhiN »

Hi all, I'm new to LM and coming back to Linux after a number of years. So in many ways I'm like a newbie - I've forgotten a lot of my commands and how to troubleshoot. I have an HP EliteBook 6930p (Energy Star) with an Intel Core 2 Duo inside. I have installed LM 17.2 "Rafeala" MATE. The wireless works fine sometimes. It installed fine and I was able to add the connection for where I live (note: I don't have access to the router nor the SSID settings; I only know the password). It connected fine. But sometimes, especially after I hibernate and bring the computer back out of hibernation, the wifi fails to connect. It will try 3 or 4 times with no luck. Whenever this has happened I've tried various things, and eventually I get it to connect again. But it's not one specific thing that works every time. It seems more like random chance - eventually one or a combination of what I try works. So here's what I try when this happens:

1) Delete the connection and re-add it
2) Use 'rfkill block/unblock' to soft-block and unblock the wlan
3) Try 'ifdown wlan0 / ifup wlan 0' - sometimes I get a response that wlan isn't configured
4) I manually press the wireless adapter hotkey to turn it off and on
5) I check off 'Enable Wifi' and check it back on again in the taskbar (the network icon)
6) I click on the network icon and select the SSID even though it is saved (I try this usually after the 3rd or 4th time it fails to connect)
7) Log out and log back in
8) Restart
9) Shutdown, wait a few seconds, and boot back up

Another thing is that when the wifi is connected, the hotkey on the laptop for the adapter blinks blue and orange. Now, when I had Windows the lights worked the way they were supposed to - when the adapter was turned off the light was orange, and when the adapter was turned on, the light was blue. At no point under Windows did the adapter light blink while connected to a network. But I noticed right away, as soon as I installed LM, that the adapter light did this - blink blue and orange while connected to a network. When the adapter is on (ie, no hard or soft blocks), the light is steady blue. And when the adapter is off, the light is steady orange. Not sure why this is the case, and if it's related to the wifi not connecting sometimes.

As I mentioned, I don't have that much Linux troubleshooting experience. I know I could use dmesg to read for more info, but not sure how to pipe it to a file or to stdout one page at a time. I also don't know what to look for with dmesg. I have tried iwlist scan, and when the wifi wasn't connected, the scan results usually returned nothing. Once it did return a list of networks.

Any help you can give would be appreciated. I'm not afraid to run different commands, but you'll have to walk me through what to use. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Laurent85
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Wireless device not working

Post by Laurent85 »

Hi, can you open a terminal, copy/paste commands then post back the results

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net
dEhiN

Re: Wireless device not working

Post by dEhiN »

Here you go:

inxi -Fxz:
System:    Host: thanniir Kernel: 3.16.0-38-generic i686 (32 bit, gcc: 4.8.2) 
           Desktop: MATE 1.10.0  Distro: Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela
Machine:   System: Hewlett-Packard product: HP EliteBook 6930p version: F.1A
           Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 30DB version: KBC Version 87.2B
           Bios: Hewlett-Packard version: 68PCU Ver. F.1A date: 12/13/2010
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8600 (-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB flags: (lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 9576.24 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 800.00 MHz 2: 1600.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Mobile 4 Series Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0 
           X.org: 1.15.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) tty size: 158x44 Advanced Data: N/A for root 
Audio:     Card: Intel 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0 
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.16.0-38-generic
Network:   Card-1: Intel Ultimate N WiFi Link 5300 driver: iwlwifi ver: in-tree: bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Intel 82567LM Gigabit Network Connection driver: e1000e ver: 2.3.2-k port: 70c0 bus-ID: 00:19.0
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 160.0GB (22.8% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: TOSHIBA_MK1652GS size: 160.0GB temp: 42C 
Partition: ID: / size: 14G used: 6.4G (50%) fs: ext4 ID: /home size: 131G used: 28G (23%) fs: ext4 
           ID: swap-1 size: 3.00GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 43.0C mobo: 34.8C 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
Info:      Processes: 183 Uptime: 2:06 Memory: 1197.4/3888.1MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.4 
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.11) inxi: 1.9.17 
And

lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net:
00:19.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation 82567LM Gigabit Network Connection [8086:10f5] (rev 03)
	Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device [103c:30db]
	Kernel driver in use: e1000e
--
02:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Intel Corporation Ultimate N WiFi Link 5300 [8086:4236]
	Subsystem: Intel Corporation Device [8086:1011]
	Kernel driver in use: iwlwifi

Return to “Networking”