Windows 7 computer invisible to Mint 16 box

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mcart117

Windows 7 computer invisible to Mint 16 box

Post by mcart117 »

I use a Windows 7 computer as a media server and a number of devices connect to it, including Linux and XP boxes. Everything worked well until a few days ago. Now, suddenly, the Win7 box is no longer visible to the Linux Mint 16 box (see image below).

In this image JHCi5 and JHCi3 are WinXP boxes. There used to be another icon for the Win 7 box but it is no longer visible (to this computer - it is still visible to the XP boxes).

Being a conspiracy theorist, I suspect a Windows update has made it difficult for Linux to connect to Windows 7, but I'd appreciate alternative ideas from anyone else.

BTW I am also having similar problems with a Mint 17.1 box, but I'll make a separate post for that because the symptoms are not identical.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Windows 7 computer invisible to Mint 16 box

Post by Pjotr »

Upgrade the Mint 16 box ASAP to Mint 17.x. Mint 16 is long dead; no more security updates. Very risky to keep using it.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

since you are using Mint 16 & has no updates any-more,
- the issue is more likely to be with the win_7 side of things.
:twisted:
likewise with win_XP also no longer getting updates, that side of things won't change either.

so - the problem is most likely with the win_7 unit.

- you can continue to use both win_xp & Mint 16 as long as you realize the associated security risk(s).
but - you will surely get lots of advice - to the contrary. ..
:o
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
mcart117

Post by mcart117 »

Thanks for the replies and I appreciate the security points. The Mint 16 box is used by my kids to watch telly from my network and the web, and it is certainly more robust than Windows, albeit maybe less so than Mint 17.x.

And the WLAN problem seems to be intermittent. The screenshot below was taken this morning, and the Win7 box (JHCi7) is now visible. All I've done overnight is to restart both boxes, and possibly the router.

Maybe it's my router. I'm using a TP-Link Wireless N ADSL2+ Modem Router. Anyone else had issues with this one?

Return to “Networking”