Installing non free Broadcom driver terminated Internet Conn

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Byter_1116

Installing non free Broadcom driver terminated Internet Conn

Post by Byter_1116 »

Hi, I'm setting up 17.2 on a old Dell machine and got to the point of trying to make the wireless work. I have a Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-Card according to

lspci -vq | grep -i wire -B 1 -A 5

But when I updated through device manager after installing the non-free drivers, it was Broadcom 6.0 something I think. During install, ethernet disconnected, wireless connected according to notifications and I think ethernet reconnected without a notification. Then I rebooted. Upon reboot, no ethernet connection, no wireless. I looked at

/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-bcm43.conf

and this file says it will be overwritten and bcm43xx and b44 are blacklisted. My ethernet adapter is a 44xx broadcom and earlier in the day, system told me I had a broadcom 4311 for wireless.

Now I can't seem to do anything because Device Manager will not let me deselect the 6.0xx? driver without an internet connection.

Anyone know what's going on and how to fix it?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Byter_1116

Re: Installing non free Broadcom driver terminated Internet

Post by Byter_1116 »

The culprit driver that disabled Broadcom BCM was BCMWL-kernal-source 6.30.223.248+broadcom-0ubuntu0.1. The installation of this driver corrupted my whole system. Tons of error codes during boot and Mint 17.2 could not shutdown in addition to trashing the network configuration. So I reinstalled 17.2 and tried again with the same result. On the third install I learned it was not a non-free driver as I didn't load the non-free drivers. I was afraid to select it again.

sudo apt-get install b43-fwcutter firmware-b43-installer

And it appeared to install properly, and ethernet connection still works but not wifi. nm-applet will not load. It is not a choice from Applets. I can see it in the file manager, but it will not start by double clicking. It also will not start from terminal. Wifi bios control is set to on.
Laurent85
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Installing non free Broadcom driver terminated Internet

Post by Laurent85 »

Can you open a terminal, copy/paste commands below then post back the result

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net

Return to “Networking”