Wifi dropping after update

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rlritter1

Re: Wifi dropping after update

Post by rlritter1 »

It's funny you mentioned that. I was looking at the Security Options the other day both on the computer and through the router portal and realized that the computer was set on WPA/WPA2 Personal and the router was set on WPA2 Personal. I changed the router to WPA2/WPA Mixed Mode and it hasn't dropped since. I don't understand why that would make a difference, but apparently it has. Nothing has changed as far as those settings since we've had this internet service in a year and a half. The only thing I can figure is our isp has done some changing without notifying us. As far as the options you were suggesting, WPA2-AES, that is not an option in my router's wireless settings. There is only WPA2/WPA Mixed Mode, WPA2 Personal, WPA Personal, WPA2/WPA Enterprise Mixed Mode, WPA2 Enterprise, WPA Enterprise, WEP, and Radius. You talk about making someone pull their hair out trying to fix this. I've spent all weekend trying to figure out what I've done to cause this problem when my wife's computer, which also has Linux Mint 17, only had problems for a short time and then was just fine after she removed a few updates. I just hope this fixes the problem for good! :roll:
chimchild

Re: Wifi dropping after update

Post by chimchild »

I have the same/simular issue with the enterprise level wifi connection at my school. It connects fine with the linux wifi drivers under 17 & 17.1, but 17.2 or using the proprietary broadcom drivers will cause the connection to fail/not connect. About the only solution I find is to keep rolling back to the 17.1 if it gets update to 17.2

Return to “Networking”