Possible Roaming Aggressiveness Issue

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
markpy

Possible Roaming Aggressiveness Issue

Post by markpy »

Hi,

I am having issues connecting to a wireless network at my school. I am living in a dorm and while I can generally connect with my Windows 8.1 (on the same computer), I typically have trouble connecting with Linux Mint (see info below). It sometimes works but typically when I try to connect it will start connecting then stops and repeat until it gives up.

My dorm building and school use the same wireless system as far as I can tell. They appear to use Cisco access points. I know that I am capable of holding a stable connection to my school's wireless network as I had no issue connecting to the same SSID on campus. The main difference if I were to guess is that my dorm building has far poorer signal coverage. I typically have <30% signal strength (and in parts of my apartment it is bad enough that Windows cannot stably connect either) in my apartment and <80% signal strength on campus.

My theory is that Linux Mint has a Roaming Aggressiveness setting that is preventing the school's network from managing which access point that I connect to. I googled this issue and found this: http://askubuntu.com/questions/137460/w ... essiveness

Unfortunately I am unable to change my Roaming Aggressiveness setting in the terminal using that method (it says the opperation is not supported):
http://i.imgur.com/SQ6LluG.png

The roaming aggressiveness may be a red herring but regardless I would appreciate any ideas on how to make my Linux Mint connect as well as my Windows 8.1

Thanks,

mark

Laptop: Asus UX305
Linux Mint 17.1 Cinnamon 64-bit
Cinnamon Version: 2.4.8
Linux Kernel 3.16.0-37-generic
Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless 7265 (rev 59)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
markpy

Re: Possible Roaming Aggressiveness Issue

Post by markpy »

Another detail:
My older Lenovo G50 is able to maintain a stable connection to the wifi. As a workaround I am bridging the wireless connection over ethernet from the G50 to the UX305. This works nicely which makes me happy.
Here is the Lenovo G50's info:
Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon 64-bit
Cinnamon Version 2.2.16
Kernel: 3.13.0-24-generic

mark

EDIT: Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)

Return to “Networking”