wifi drop off

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
niterider

wifi drop off

Post by niterider »

So my wifi keep on dropping off. I have to constantly turn off and on.

The weird thing is there is no problem when I stream a radio show where it is constantly receiving 1 to 9 KiB/sec and sending a few hunder bytes/sec.

it will drop off if it is idle like I surfing the web or streaming youtube. Youtube send intermittent packets. What is the cause of this? Should I just stream a radio show and turn off the volume? seem like a waste.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: wifi drop off

Post by Pjotr »

Please generate an overview of your system like this:
- launch a terminal window and make it full screen, to avoid chopped lines;
- copy/paste this command into the terminal:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
(if you type: the letter F is a capital letter)

Press Enter.

Copy/paste the output in your next message.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

Continuous ping may helps.

Code: Select all

ping -i 5 someaddress.com
niterider

Post by niterider »

My other housemate have the same from with their wifi, so it not specific to my computer. I think this is a general wifi issue. I wonder what could cause this.

System: Host: vince-System-Product-Name Kernel: 3.13.0-37-generic i686 (32 bit, gcc: 4.8.2)
Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca
Machine: Mobo: ASUSTeK model: A88XM-E version: Rev X.0x Bios: American Megatrends version: 0401 date: 04/01/2014
CPU: Quad core AMD A10-7800 Radeon R7 12 Compute Cores 4C+8G (-MCP-) cache: 8192 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm) bmips: 28138.2
Clock Speeds: 1: 1400.00 MHz 2: 1400.00 MHz 3: 3500.00 MHz 4: 1400.00 MHz
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Kaveri [Radeon R7 200 Series] bus-ID: 00:01.0
X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: ati,fglrx (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,radeon) Resolution: 1920x1080@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: AMD Radeon R7 Graphics GLX Version: 4.4.13374 - CPC 13.35.1005 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio: Card-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] FCH Azalia Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:14.2
Card-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Device 1308 driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:01.1
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.13.0-37-generic
Network: Card: Realtek RTL8192CU 802.11n WLAN Adapter driver: rtl8192cu usb-ID: 0bda:8178
IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives: HDD Total Size: 2500.5GB (17.7% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD10EZEX size: 1000.2GB
2: id: /dev/sdb model: ST31500341AS size: 1500.3GB
Partition: ID: / size: 451G used: 5.8G (2%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 7.45GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
RAID: No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 36.1C mobo: N/A
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes: 181 Uptime: 14:36 Memory: 1827.5/7011.4MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.4 Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

I think that the main reason is the power management.
How to permanently turn off wi-fi power management in Ubuntu
Step 1 – Check that wi-fi power management is turned on

In order to turn off the power management we first need to ensure that it is turned on.

*Open a terminal window by pressing Ctrl+Alt+t
*Now type: iwconfig and press Enter

*Type: sudo iwconfig wlan0 power off – This disables the wi-fi power management

Step 3 will show us how to make this fix permanent by firstly moving to another directory and then editing or creating (if it doesn’t exist already) the file /etc/pm/power.d/wireless

Step 3 – Making the fix permanent – Moving to /etc/pm/power.d directory

We must now move to the directory/etc/pm/power.d we do this by typing the command below into the terminal (see image below)- Note, if the directory does not exist you must create it by typing: mkdir /etc/pm/power.d

Step 4 – Creating the wireless file in the /etc/pm/power.d directory

Once we are in /etc/pm/power.d we must create the wireless file.

*Type: sudo pico /etc/pm/power.d/wireless into the terminal command and press enter, this will create the wireless file and open the file for editing as a root user.

Step 5 – Add a couple of lines of code to the wireless file, save and exit and its all done !

Now that you are in /etc/pm/power.d/wireless we add two lines of code (shown below) which tell Ubuntu to stop managing the power management of our wireless device, thus keeping the wi-fi power management permanently turned off (even if we shut down or restart the system)

*Type: #!/bin/sh

/sbin/iwconfig wlan0 power off

Now save and exit – note if you can’t find a save button (like us) just close the terminal window and restart your laptop/notebook. The changes will take effect. Also note that when you reboot, do it on battery power, reopen the terminal and type iwconfig’ and check that the power management for your wlan0 device reads: OFF.

Sit back and enjoy browsing the web and having your laptop/notebook back to its good old self, without having to have your AC cable plugged in all the time.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

You need to change the driver for your RTL8192CU chipset. Like this:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... 0bda:8178-
(item 2, left column)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
niterider

Post by niterider »

Pjotr,

Your suggestion work perfectly.. Thank.

Return to “Networking”