ThinkPad E545, don't! update bcmwf *trusty-updates*

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
freed00m

ThinkPad E545, don't! update bcmwf *trusty-updates*

Post by freed00m »

Lenovo ThinkPad E545

Network controller : Broadcom Corporation BCM43142 802.11b/g/n (rev 01)

If you are using this WIFI card, beware that *bcmwf-kernel-source* does perform very badly with a newer version
of the *bcmwf-kernel-source* 6.30.223.248-bdcom-0ubuntuXX (XX I have tried them all and all are crap)

Desripction of what is happening:

You are connnected to a network and when you are at signal level cca 55% and less the internet drops and you are offline for a long period of time (restarting card works for a few moments when the drop occurs again)

Solution: You want to downgrade to a *bcmwf-kernel-source* 6.30.223.141 (Lock it and don't update it)
+ To be sure I also downgrade linux-firmware from 1.127.12 to 1.127, just to be sure

Alternative solution: I have read a lots of lenovo users have this kind of a problem and it was DUE a unstable N module in the driver, so you might wanna disable N module of the new bcmwf. Look it up how to, I am OK with just downgrade.

Anyone from LINUX MINT TEAM please include a backport version of *bcmwf-kernel-source* 6.30.223.141 to a linux mint 17.2 :)

Possible WARNINGS: *bcmwf-kernel-source* 6.30.223.141 might not be included in Linux MINT 17.2 as the newer versions are believed to be working properly.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
freed00m

Re: ThinkPad E545, don't! update bcmwf *trusty-updates*

Post by freed00m »

***UPDATE***

Linux mint 17.2 has 3.16 kernel series, and the older driver in trusty is not being patched to work with 3.16 thus rendering the upgrade from 17.1->17.2 very hard when you first boot up the driver will not load!!!

+ The rainbowing driver is shite in an upcomming release so DON'T ugrade to 17.2

I am again stuck on old kernel 3.13 AGAIN because of a stupid drivers!!!!
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

See this post for patch info for the old version

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... ch#p954349
freed00m

Post by freed00m »

JeremyB wrote:See this post for patch info for the old version

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... ch#p954349
The patch is targeted to kernel 3.15 I might try it soon and build it from source and hope the older version (bcmwl-kernel-source_6.30.223.141_amd64) will load under 3.16 or 3.19.

I already notified the bcmwl driver developers about my problem.

Yet I am reinstalling to 17.1 again with kernel 3.13 and hope they will notice my bug report.

Return to “Networking”