Printing from Windows

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Joshual1177

Printing from Windows

Post by Joshual1177 »

So I have my main desktop running Linux Mint 17 XFCE. My wife's laptop is running win vista. My printer is connected to my Linux desktop and I have printer sharing on. It prints without a problem from my desktop, but occasionally, more frequently in recent days, she'll send a document to be printed and it won't start printing. Almost like the printer didn't receive it. It is usually fixed by me simply opening up my printer settings on the desktop and then re sending the document. Then it will work for a while.

Could it be that after a while the process just stops or goes into some kind of hibernation until I open up my printer and it restarts? I know, technically speaking, I don't know what I'm talking about. But this is kind of like what's happening. Or maybe it's just that the desktop quits communicating with windows laptop over the network until I do something that reawakens it. I don't know, but my wife keeps getting frustrated. It seems whenever she tries to print anything, it doesn't work for her.

Proverbs‬ ‭16‬:‭20‬
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Printing from Windows

Post by Fornhamfred »

Is the printer a wireless printer or network printer?
Joshual1177

Printing from Windows

Post by Joshual1177 »

It's a network printer. I know I installed everything correctly. It just acts up once in a while. I did just update to Mint 17.1 so we'll see if it has anymore problems. I also just turned off hibernation.

Proverbs‬ ‭16‬:‭20‬
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Printing from Windows

Post by Fornhamfred »

You say: My printer is connected to my Linux desktop and I have printer sharing on. Do you mean it is a true network printer or is it a usb printer setup for print sharing.

Return to “Networking”