WiFi not working Acer Aspire AOA110 SOLVED

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bicky
Level 4
Level 4

WiFi not working Acer Aspire AOA110 SOLVED

Post by bicky »

I have just installed Mint 15 on to my Acer Notebook - can't get wi-fi to connect. Wired connection is O.K
Have the message Wi-Fi disabled by hardware switch. UBUNTU was previously installed, worked O.K. then !!
Any ideas please.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: WiFi not working Acer Aspire AOA110

Post by JeremyB »

bicky wrote:I have just installed Mint 15 on to my Acer Notebook - can't get wi-fi to connect. Wired connection is O.K
Have the message Wi-Fi disabled by hardware switch. UBUNTU was previously installed, worked O.K. then !!
Any ideas please.
Install either Mint 13, 17, or 17.1 as Mint 15 is no longer supported, it is the equivalent of Ubuntu 13.04 which isn't supported either
bicky
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bicky »

Hi thanks for this - will give it a go and report back
bicky
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bicky »

Hi, I am in a real quandary with this one . I tried to install Mint 17.1, but my SD card on the Acer doesn't have enough capacity. Then I tried to install Mint 13, at the close, I get the FATAL error message that Grub Installer doesn't load.

So two questions - if I buy a larger capacity SD card, can I just install Mint 17 to this or are there complications in Format, partition and so on. Or how can I get the Grub installer to work on Mint 13.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

The AOA110 has an SSD of, if I remember correctly, 8 GB. If you deduct 520 MB for a swap partition and 480 MB for overprovisioning, that still leaves 7 GB. Which should be enough space for an installation of Mint 17.1 Xfce.

Years ago, I owned such a machine myself (sold with a pre-installed Linpus Linux). A whopping 512 MB RAM (not upgradeable). The drag caused by the slow SSD was excruciatingly aggravating. Reading speed was acceptable, but write speed was plain awful.

Anyway, the best performance I got out of it, was with Lubuntu (Lubuntu 14.04 is the best version). The LXDE desktop is the lightest practically usable desktop environment, in my opinion. Format the SSD as EXT2 (not EXT4), set noatime in fstab, reserve some space for overprovisioning, don't set TRIM (I think it's not supported on that prehistoric SSD), limit write actions of the web browser, set swappiness to 0 and hope for the best.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
bicky
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bicky »

Hi thanks for reply. My situation just gets worse.
First off I tried Mint 17 Xfce - unfortunately this needs just in excess of 8GB - so could not proceed. Then I tried Lubuntu - ran the live cd all worked just fine, then installed, seemed just fine, rebooted, removed disk etc - then it just keeps on rebooting to the old Mint 15.
I just cannot get this machine to accept the Lubuntu new install.
Any ideas please.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

Boot from the Lubuntu Live CD, launch GParted and nuke all existing partitions on the SSD. Then install again. :)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
bicky
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bicky »

Thanks - done as you suggested - works just fine, as well as can be expected from this machine + set up !

Return to “Networking”