Broadcom BC4311 very slow after modem upgrade

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
johnnyperth

Broadcom BC4311 very slow after modem upgrade

Post by johnnyperth »

I looked just about everywhere for a solution to this problem but I just can't get it to work.

I have Linux Mint 17.1 installed and up to date. Wired connection works fine.

My hardware: Presario C501RU Laptop - Broadcom WiFi BC4311

Was working very well until I upgraded my modem to http://www.iinet.net.au/hardware/budii/ and apart from the connection dying often, it is extremely slow, to the point where connections time out. The modem is virtually the same as the previous one, except for allowing AC connections and the faster ADSL2+ and VDSL2 protocols.

My windows installation on the same laptop has no problem with this and in fact is much faster than previously.

I have tried installing WICD connection manager but this destroys my Linux installation requiring a reinstall.

After reinstalling and installing the driver for the BC4311 I get the same problem. If I plug in the old router it works just fine. This has me stumped, but not being one to give up, I would like to resolve this issue and have my favourite Linux working properly again :)

Anyone with any suggestions?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Broadcom BC4311 very slow after modem upgrade

Post by Pjotr »

What encryption do you use for your wireless network? It should be WPA2 or WPA, with AES-only. No TKIP.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
johnnyperth

Post by johnnyperth »

The modem is setup for WPA/WPA2-PSK (Same settings as the old modem)

The only other options are:
WEP or
WPA/WPA2-802.1x
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

johnnyperth wrote:The modem is setup for WPA/WPA2-PSK (Same settings as the old modem)
That's good, but there should also be an option for AES vs. TKIP. The (outdated and insecure) TKIP can cause connection problems in Linux, so this should be set to "AES only".
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
johnnyperth

Post by johnnyperth »

Pjotr wrote:
johnnyperth wrote:The modem is setup for WPA/WPA2-PSK (Same settings as the old modem)
That's good, but there should also be an option for AES vs. TKIP. The (outdated and insecure) TKIP can cause connection problems in Linux, so this should be set to "AES only".
No... neither modem has that option.

This is what I have from iwconfig:

wlan0 IEEE 802.11bg ESSID:"Perth-Services"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.462 GHz Access Point: 78:A0:51:61:0A:7E
Bit Rate=24 Mb/s Tx-Power=20 dBm
Retry long limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Power Management:off
Link Quality=70/70 Signal level=-40 dBm
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:77 Invalid misc:21 Missed beacon:0

Correct me if I'm wrong, but since the linux box is connecting to the router, wouldn't that mean that it has passed the security stage? What I mean is that if security was the problem, it wouldn't connect at all, right?

Cheers

Return to “Networking”