[SOLVED] Slow connection spped on home LAN

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Polymorph
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Slow connection spped on home LAN

Post by Polymorph »

Hi ppl

Environment:
Wireless Modem/Router Netgear DGND3700
Computer 1: HP All-in-One running LinuxMint 17.1 XFCE - connected by Ethernet cable
Computer 2: Acer laptop running Windows 8.1 Pro - connected by wireless

Problem:
When Computer 1 is running alone I consistently get over several years connection speeds of 18-19 Mb/s - this is excellent for my purposes.
When I switch on Computer 2 the connection speed on Computer 1 drops to about 4 Mb/s or less and I get the same speed on Computer 2.
When I switch Computer 2 off the speed on Computer goes back up to 18 Mb/s.
The problem is the same if I connect Computer 2 by wireless or Ethernet.

I have searched the Windows forums and Google to no avail. There are a lot of suggestions that are irrelevant and do not help - such as reset DNS, Clear out Temp files and so on.

Somehow Windows 8.1 is maybe hogging the Internet connection to the exclusion of other computers (just a guess). I sometimes have other computers running LinuxMint 17 connected and the problem is network wide. Without the Windows computer all computers on the network are working properly. I have done the above tests after Windows has finished its updating and seems to be idle.

I cannot think of anything else to do.

Any help will be appreciated - TIA

Alan
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Slow connection spped on home LAN

Post by jungle_boy »

Polymorph wrote:Hi ppl

I cannot think of anything else to do.

Alan
1- Reduce the bandwidth available for the w8, configuring your wireless router, or

2- Delete w8 and install linux mint.
Samsung Odyssey, Octa-core, i5 9300H, Geforce GTX 1650, 16GB RAM, SSD SAMSUNG NVMe 500GB
LM 21 Cinnamon
Polymorph
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Polymorph »

Thanks for your reply.

My basic network is centered on Linux and has always worked very well for years so I do not want to change any Modem/router settings

I only have Windows 8 so that I can keep up-to-date and help other people.

I have another computer with Windows 7 Ultimate and that works well and does not affect the network

I think this is a Windows problem rather than a network problem. The trouble is that there are so many Windows forums full of people that think they know everything :)

I probably will end up following your 2nd suggestion - Delete w8 and install linux mint.

Thanks for your help

Alan
Polymorph
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Polymorph »

I am abandoning Windows 8.1

How do I mark this thread as SOLVED - I cannot find it anywhere

Thanks
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by jungle_boy »

Polymorph wrote: I think this is a Windows problem rather than a network problem.
Alan
Yes, I also bought a netbook with w8 and am having problems with it; soon I will delete w8 and install Linux mint.

Polymorph wrote:
How do I mark this thread as SOLVED - I cannot find it anywhere
Go to your first post in the thread, hit "Edit" button and add [SOLVED] to the title of the post.
Samsung Odyssey, Octa-core, i5 9300H, Geforce GTX 1650, 16GB RAM, SSD SAMSUNG NVMe 500GB
LM 21 Cinnamon

Return to “Networking”