Help with Wireless

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BurnTHalO

Help with Wireless

Post by BurnTHalO »

I know this has been done to death, but I haven't been able to get any of the fixes to work, so here I go. I am as green as they come with Linux to start with. I have a WNDA3100 wireless for my desktop, and am having trouble with the install. I read that I should be using ndiswrapper, but I can't seem to get that installed either. I read that it may have to do with my kernel, but I'm at a loss for where to go from there. Can anyone help me get this installed? Below is what I see when I use make install for ndiswrapper.

Code: Select all

make -C driver install
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/louis/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.59/driver'
mkdir -p -m 755 /lib/modules/3.13.0-37-generic/misc
install -m 0644 ndiswrapper.ko /lib/modules/3.13.0-37-generic/misc
/sbin/depmod -a 3.13.0-37-generic
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/louis/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.59/driver'
make -C utils install
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/louis/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.59/utils'
gcc -g -Wall -I../driver  -o loadndisdriver loadndisdriver.c
loadndisdriver.c:15:20: fatal error: stdlib.h: No such file or directory
 #include <stdlib.h>
                    ^
compilation terminated.
make[1]: *** [loadndisdriver] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/louis/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.59/utils'
make: *** [install] Error 2

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Help with Wireless

Post by JeremyB »

Might be easier to use the Synaptic Package Manager to install ndiswrapper-dkms, ndiswrapper-utils-1.9, ndiswrapper-common, and ndisgtk

ndisgtk is a graphical interface for ndiswrapper that should make using it a little easier. Be aware that ndiswrapper isn't the best solution, it is about the same as placing a bandaid on a broken leg
BurnTHalO

Post by BurnTHalO »

I'm more than open to any suggestions for getting wireless up and running. I downloaded ndisgtk, but couldn't figure out how to get it open and had something else come up, so I haven't gotten to really try it yet. It's on my agenda for tonight though.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

BurnTHalO wrote:I'm more than open to any suggestions for getting wireless up and running. I downloaded ndisgtk, but couldn't figure out how to get it open and had something else come up, so I haven't gotten to really try it yet. It's on my agenda for tonight though.
If you have an open PCI slot on the desktop, I would order an Intel 7260, if you don't have a PCI slot open, try a TP-Link TL-WN722N ver 1.1 as it worked perfectly for me with LM17 and Ubuntu 14.04/14.10

For ndisgtk, go into the Menu and search for Windows and it should be there as Windows Wireless Drivers
stephenr1400
Level 1
Level 1

Post by stephenr1400 »

Ndiswrapper requires that you download the windows driver to your computer. Try this to set it up using ndisgtk front end.

1. On Mint 17.1 (cinnamin 64-bit) ndiswrapper and utils come pre-installed. You should only need to use the "Software Manager" to install ndisgtk (graphical front end).
Menu>Adminstration>Software Manager (give your password for administrator permission)>search "ndisgtk"> click install. This will put an entry for Windows Wireless Drivers on the Administration menu.
2. Go to the Netgear support page for WNDA3100 and download the driver (windows). It is a "zip".
Make a folder in your download directory and call it "wifi driver." Move the zip file to the folder you created and extract the zip file (right click, extract here, etc.)
3. Open ndisgtk front end gui by using the Program Menu>Administration>windows wireless drivers
click on the button to add a new driver. use the find button to go to the wifi folder you set up and click on the driver file.
ndis should set it up. you will need to reboot at least once before your device will show up and work.

hope this helps

Return to “Networking”