No Wifi after disconnecting ethernet/MATE/LM17

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

No Wifi after disconnecting ethernet/MATE/LM17

Post by daveinuk »

Hello Folks,

I have a Toshiba Equium L40 I use now and again, mainly kept out in the shed where it is connected via ethernet, if I bring it inside I find it won't connect to wireless without a reboot, today it wouldn't even do that, I ran rfkill list in the terminal and it was firstly soft and hard blocked, I made sure wifi was enabled in the bios re a post I read while searching, then it was just soft blocked after rebooting. Checked the hardware switch was in the 'on' position, I then ran sudo rfkill unblock all in terminal and it came back to life but I don't know why this is happening in the first instance, I have the MATE DE on this machine and I normally use cinnamon so I'm not too familiar with the DE if anyone can tell me the correct way I should be disconnecting/connecting the ethernet, if there is a 'method' with MATE, or is it something else?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Re: No Wifi after disconnecting ethernet/MATE/LM17

Post by Pjotr »

Please generate an overview of your system like this:
- launch a terminal window and make it fullscreen, to avoid chopped lines;
- copy/paste this command into the terminal:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
(if you type: the letter F is a capital letter)

Press Enter.

Copy/paste the output in your next message.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Post by daveinuk »

Thanks, output as follows:

dave@dave-Equium-L40 ~ $ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: dave-Equium-L40 Kernel: 3.13.0-37-generic i686 (32 bit, gcc: 4.8.2) 
           Desktop: N/A Distro: Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca
Machine:   System: TOSHIBA (portable) product: Equium L40 version: PSL49E-00C005KS
           Mobo: TOSHIBA model: Equium L40 version: 1.0 Bios: American Megatrends version: V1.80 date: 12/28/2007
CPU:       Dual core Intel Pentium Dual CPU T2330 (-MCP-) cache: 1024 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 ssse3) bmips: 6384.06 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 800.00 MHz 2: 1600.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (primary) bus-ID: 00:02.0 
           X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1280x800@59.9hz 
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 965GM x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 10.1.3 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card: Intel 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.13.0-37-generic
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL-8100/8101L/8139 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter 
           driver: 8139too ver: 0.9.28 port: c800 bus-ID: 05:07.0
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Realtek RTL8187B Wireless Adapter usb-ID: 0bda:8197
           IF: N/A state: N/A mac: N/A
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 120.0GB (13.9% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: TOSHIBA_MK1246GS size: 120.0GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 19G used: 4.7G (27%) fs: ext4 ID: /boot size: 922M used: 43M (5%) fs: ext4 
           ID: /home size: 88G used: 11G (14%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 3.03GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors:   None detected - is lm-sensors installed and configured?
Info:      Processes: 155 Uptime: 5:16 Memory: 776.2/2007.6MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.2 Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4 
dave@dave-Equium-L40 ~ $ 

Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

OK, nothing remarkable in the inxi output.... It might be that your old machine's hardware is acting up because of less-than-optimal atmospheric conditions in the shed where you keep it. The erratic nature of the problem seems to point in that direction.

You might check the condition of the capacitators on the motherboard (a couple of weeks ago, I discovered that some capacitators on an Intel motherboard from 2007 in an older computer of mine, had begotten "curved heads" instead of the "flat heads" they should be having: a sure sign of chemical rot). Dust removal from the inside of the computer is also a good idea.

Anyway, it can do no harm if you apply these generic measures:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/10
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Post by daveinuk »

Hmmmmmm well I suppose I'll have to keep an eye on it but the shed is pretty big well waterproofed and draught/damp free, it's not just an average garden shed ;) and it's not out there 7 days a week either, I figured it was some sort of network manager niggle - it seems if I shut down/unplug - instead of closing the laptop lid and unplugging - it connects to wifi just fine on reboot, and I've done it enough times (lid closing) consistently, where it then won't even give me the option of wifi. . . . . . ... . . . . .

All I know is, if I take my Lenovo T61 outside, connect to ethernet, shut the lid, pull the plug, and take it inside and pop the lid up, it will then connect to wifi without my input, but, that runs LMDE with cinnamon FTIW. . . . . . . . but thanks for the suggestions and I'll have a good look at that link shortly ......
UltramaticOrange

Post by UltramaticOrange »

Give this a shot -- faster than a reboot.

sudo service network-manager restart

Return to “Networking”