wlan / internet connection symbol missing

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
joffrey

wlan / internet connection symbol missing

Post by joffrey »

Hi,

the symbol on my panel for showing the type and strength of connection disappeared. Where it has been, there is still a lack. But when I press on it, there is no reaction, so I can't choose the network anymore. Anyways, my internet is still working.

How can I reinstall it?

Thanks, joffrey.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
WinterTroubles

Re: wlan / internet connection symbol missing

Post by WinterTroubles »

You have probably accidentally removed an applet/plug-in from your panel, but without knowing which Desktop Environment you are using (Cinnamon, Mate, Xfce or KDE) it is hard for anyone to say exactly what may be missing with any detail or how to re-add it.

If you can post back with the version of Mint you are running and you Desktop Environment (e.g. Mint 17.1 Cinnamon) then hopefully someone will be able to help.

Regards
WT
joffrey

Post by joffrey »

Hi, thankyou, I'm using Mint 17.1 Mate.

I just tried it out a little bit with my terminal to get the network-manager running, but it tells me that it is not installed, when I do :

Code: Select all

nm-connection-editor
and that I should install it with

sudo apt-get install network-manager-gnome
. But this doesn't work, my terminal then tells me that there are packets hold back, because they are broken...
WinterTroubles

Post by WinterTroubles »

I don't use Mate, so am unsure exactly which packages should be installed an how to configure them.. and I'd prefer not to guess about a DE I have no experience of.

However it would probably be helpful to copy and paste the errors you receive into this thread, as it may provide clues as to where the problem lies or what caused the issue to begin with.

I may not be able to help further, even with the additional information, but there are more experienced users here who, I am sure, will be able to offer assistance if I can't.

Regards
WT
joffrey

Post by joffrey »

OK, but anyways thankyou a lot!

Here is what my terminal gives out for demanding the network-manager:

~ $ nm-connection-editor
The program 'nm-connection-editor' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:

~ $ sudo apt-get install network-manager-gnome
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 network-manager-gnome : Depends: libnm-glib-vpn1 (>= 0.7.999) but it is not going to be installed
                         Depends: libnm-glib4 (>= 0.9.1.90+git.20111206t233146.dff0d2a) but it is not going to be installed
                         Depends: libnm-gtk0 (= 0.9.8.8-0ubuntu4.1-mint1) but it is not going to be installed
                         Depends: libnm-util2 (>= 0.9.6.0+git201212071413.8a9759a) but it is not going to be installed
                         Depends: network-manager (>= 0.9.8) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

WinterTroubles

Post by WinterTroubles »

At this point I could point you towards instructions for fixing broken packages posted elsewhere in these forums.. however, due to my inexperience with Mate it's possible I'm missing something obvious regarding exactly which packages you should have installed.

So the best thing I can do is stand aside and allow someone who can be more certain offer help.
joffrey wrote:OK, but anyways thankyou a lot!
You are welcome, for the little I did. :)
WT
jtarin

Post by jtarin »

Try

sudo apt-get install network-manager
then try the network-manager-gnome install
joffrey

Post by joffrey »

Hi,

that was also not working :cry:

sudo apt-get install network-manager
Building dependency tree       

network-manager : Depends: libnm-glib4 (>= 0.9.8.0) but it is not going to be installed
                   Depends: libnm-util2 (>= 0.9.6.0+git201212071413.8a9759a) but it is not going to be installed
when I after that tried to install gnome-manager, it said still this:

Building dependency tree       

network-manager-gnome : Depends: libnm-glib-vpn1 (>= 0.7.999) but it is not going to be installed
                         Depends: libnm-glib4 (>= 0.9.1.90+git.20111206t233146.dff0d2a) but it is not going to be installed
                         Depends: libnm-gtk0 (= 0.9.8.8-0ubuntu4.1-mint1) but it is not going to be installed
                         Depends: network-manager (>= 0.9.8) but it is not going to be installed
But thankyou, I'm happy for every purpose what to do!

Return to “Networking”