ISSUE with ONE Wifi (other works, where to star

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Oliiive

ISSUE with ONE Wifi (other works, where to star

Post by Oliiive »

Hello to all :)

Since several weeks I have one problem with the wifi access of my school (other wifi works with my netbook
It works with my tablet, but with my Netbook (Aspire D270, Mint 17 64bits)

The fact it works with my tablet means the problem lies within my netbook, but I can't manage to solve this.
As I have no net access, this is problematic when I need to retrieve stuff from online website of the training materials..
When I try to log in the wifi (user and password, it requires a certificate.. Is there a solution or a point of start?

I have windows aside and I can't neither access to it (this may be important to mention it...
Is it possible the wifi blocks the device? Is there a mean to 'reset' the device identification (name? id? ...)

I wait for your reply to figure out this, else the only solution I have would be to acccess wifi to my tablet and to use a usb stick... Or to buy a new laptop but... not enough money for this for the moment

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Oliiive

Re: ISSUE with ONE Wifi (other works, where to star

Post by Oliiive »

Any ideas? :)
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

AlbertP might have a few ideas but I can probably get you started. In network manager you will need to select WPA/WPA2 Enterprise for security/encryption and then you should be able to change TTLS to PEAP and you should be able to select a CA(certificate) also on this page
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Oliiive, is that an eduroam network?

first question, which desktop environment do you have, Cinnamon, and Mint 17 or 17.1?

Also, to make sure it's not a driver problem, please open Terminal from the menu, run the following command and post the output:

Code: Select all

inxi -N
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
Oliiive

Post by Oliiive »

Thank you for your replies. Here are all my specs

System:    Host: RedHotOliiive Kernel: 3.13.0-24-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.2)
               Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 17 Qiana
    Machine:   System: Acer product: AOD270 version: V1.04
               Mobo: Acer model: JE01_CT Bios: Insyde version: V1.04 date: 01/12/2012
    CPU:       Dual core Intel Atom CPU N2600 (-HT-MCP-) cache: 512 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 ssse3) bmips: 6383.58
               Clock Speeds: 1: 600.00 MHz 2: 600.00 MHz 3: 600.00 MHz 4: 600.00 MHz
    Graphics:  Card: Intel Atom Processor D2xxx/N2xxx Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0
               X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1024x600@60.0hz
               GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.4, 128 bits) GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 10.1.3 Direct Rendering: Yes
    Audio:     Card: Intel NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
               Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.13.0-24-generic
    Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller
               driver: r8169 ver: 2.3LK-NAPI port: 4000 bus-ID: 01:00.0
               IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
               Card-2: Broadcom BCM4313 802.11bgn Wireless Network Adapter driver: wl bus-ID: 02:00.0
               IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
    Drives:    HDD Total Size: 320.1GB (7.8% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD3200BEVT size: 320.1GB
    Partition: ID: / size: 138G used: 24G (18%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 2.13GB used: 1.38GB (65%) fs: swap
    RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
    Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 55.0C mobo: N/A
               Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
    Info:      Processes: 196 Uptime: 1 day Memory: 1767.8/1990.5MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.2 Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4 

Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller driver: r8169 
           Card-2: Broadcom BCM4313 802.11bgn Wireless Network Adapter driver: wl 

I have just this issue with this particular wifi and with my netbook only, because wifi works good with my tablet and all other wifi work good with my netbook. So I guess or it's my firewall (or my system) that blocks my wifi, or it is the wifi that blocks my device (device name? )
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Is that an eduroam wifi network?

Can you perhaps describe in more detail what's going wrong? What happens when you click the network icon in the tray and choose your network?
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eduroam
If it is this product, then it won't just be the wireless setup for Linux that can be the issue, it would also be the client requirements/services needed for a roaming connection
--and no doubt windows specific
http://orujzade.com/eduroam-in-linux/
--that's a euro eduroam info about connecting, wifi setup for authentication needed..

https://support.nmbu.no/it-documentatio ... ubuntu-en/
--see if that process works,..

https://linuxatuva.wordpress.com/wireless/
--from an eduroam website, how they make a connection..

Although you should be able to tease out the options needed (client requirements and so on..) to see if all fixes available can enable a connection with a foreign OS, in this case Linux
--you might also check if there is any MAC (Apple ) info available, as that can give you a clue as to how to proceed with another Unix style system, that is-- a Linux distribution..
Oliiive

Post by Oliiive »

I don't know if it's the product but the wifi name is "eduroam" and they have also a TEST-eduroam wifi.
In Windows, the TEST eduroam wifi works but not the eduroam. And in linux both don't work.

It's an university with hundreds of students, I can't imagine saying to them "hey you have issues with your wifi and my linux...
I tested it with a tablet (android) and it's working, so it's clearly with my Linux Mint OS. I can"t connect and it says always a stuff with a certificate to download (download or ignore)...

It causes me trouble because when I'm in a course, I have 2 ways. Or I work offline with linux, or i work online with Windows. (or I use a tablet to download something online and I transfer it through a usb key but this is hard while you think about it.

Or to hibernate linux, deshibernate windows, download something, hibernate windows and deshibernate linux (5-10minutes lost in the process)
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Re: ISSUE with ONE Wifi (Eduroam)

Post by AlbertP »

Eduroam can be fixed.

For Mint 17.1 Cinnamon:
Please right-click the network icon > Remove this Applet.
After removing it, another network icon will appear. Click that network icon, then choose eduroam. You are then shown a form in which you can enter your details. Please set the authentication method to Protected EAP (the default option TTLS does not work).
Then you can enter your username and password, and connect.

If you don't have Mint 17.1 Cinnamon, it works differently. In that case please tell which Mint edition you have.
Oliiive

Post by Oliiive »

Thanks for your tips. I will try that in 15-20 days, because we are in holidays actually :)
Thanks and I will give you feedback :)

Return to “Networking”