<SOLVED> Networking problem with Dell Latitude D630

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
---Neil---

<SOLVED> Networking problem with Dell Latitude D630

Post by ---Neil--- »

I have a Dell Latitiude D630 and I read a post from someone with a Dell Inspiron with an almost identical problem to mine. (The title of that topic was Networking problem with Dell Inspiron 1521.) I'll therefore give the same information he did and also the information that was requested from him.

I installed Mint 17.1 Cinnamon 32bit. I have a wired connection but no wireless.

The guy with the Inspiron was asked to post the details that came up following this piece of terminal code: lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net

When I put that in my terminal I get the following:

09:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5755M Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express [14e4:1673] (rev 02)
Subsystem: Dell Device [1028:01f9]
Kernel driver in use: tg3
0c:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4311 802.11a/b/g [14e4:4312] (rev 01)
Subsystem: Dell Wireless 1490 Dual Band WLAN Mini-Card [1028:0007]
Kernel driver in use: wl

If anyone has any advice on how to get my wireless connection working I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you.
Neil
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Networking problem with Dell Latitude D630

Post by Fornhamfred »

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Neil, I see you did install the Broadcom STA driver. This driver does not always work with 4311 or 4312 cards (many users report that it works and hence they suggest this driver, but also many users report that it does not work and you're one of those).

You can install another package instead (using ethernet cable for internet connection): firmware-b43-installer. Use Software Manager, or apt install firmware-b43-installer in terminal.

Then you can remove the STA driver (also known as wl) which you installed. If you used Driver Manager, it is probably easy to deactivate it there.

If you installed it from the repository: the wl driver is available in multiple packages, to remove all of them use:

Code: Select all

apt purge broadcom-sta-* bcmwl-kernel-source
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
---Neil---

Post by ---Neil--- »

Thank you for both your helpful responses.

AlbertP I followed your instructions and now I'm connected. I've been struggling with this issue for weeks and now I'm up and running - thanks!

Return to “Networking”