WiFi Dell L120 Broadcom 4318 Problems

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Dekatron

WiFi Dell L120 Broadcom 4318 Problems

Post by Dekatron »

I've noted from other posts that installation of Broadcom wifi driver can be a problem. I have tried to follow the other posts to no avail.
I've installed Mint 17.1 on a Dell Latitude L120 which works fine except the wifi. When viewing device manager following is displayed "Broadcom Corporation: Wireless 1370 WLAN Mini-PCI Card this device is using an alternative driver.
Question is do I need to remove this alternative driver before installing the correct one?
I have tried this and the usually it takes out the wired network driver and then I have to re-start the laptop to regain the connection.
Running "sudo apt-get purge bcnwl-kernel-source" gives a response of "dpkg was interrupted, you must run manually run 'sud0 dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.", Running this end up with ".... DKMS: installation completed. Segmentation fault" and the wired network connection drops out.
Any ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: WiFi Dell L120 Broadcom 4318 Problems

Post by JeremyB »

Try running

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get purge bcmwl-kernel-source
again and there is another method, post

Code: Select all

ls /etc/modprobe.d/
as the bcmwl package blacklists the needed modules and I don't remember the exact name

Return to “Networking”