How to make Mint 17.1 remember wireless network password?

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
annaselina

How to make Mint 17.1 remember wireless network password?

Post by annaselina »

Hello

I have recently installed Mint 17.1 KDE on my laptop. When I first set up my home wireless internet connection, there was a place to enter my network password (I accessed it from the wireless icon at the bottom rhs). This was saved and I was able to reboot a number of times and the wireless would connect automatically. This is no longer there and so I have to open Connection Editor every single time I turn on my computer and retype my password (under the Wireless Security tab). There appears to be be no option in Connection Editor to save the password, although I have selected Automatically Connect to this Network under the General tab.

In Windows I only had to enter the password once and it remembered it. How do I get Mint to do the same?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Dave B
Level 4
Level 4

Re: How to make Mint 17.1 remember wireless network password

Post by Dave B »

Hi annaselina,

As a Cinnamon user and having never experienced this issue under Cinnamon I may not be much help.

Is Connection Editor the only source of network connection information with KDE edition? As an example, in Cinnamon there is a choice of Network Settings and Network Connections, each providing different information, the reason I ask is to see if it is possible to remove any previously saved conflicting connection settings stored somewhere else and begin again.

Another option, as a test, would be to set up a new user account and see if connection information is remembered.

Sorry not much help,
Hope you have already managed to resolve your issue, or someone using the KDE edition will be able to give some helpful guidance.

David

PS: Just downloading KDE edition to set up a virtual PC and see if can be of further help
MagicMint

Re: How to make Mint 17.1 remember wireless network password

Post by MagicMint »

annaselina wrote:This is no longer there and so I have to open Connection Editor every single time I turn on my computer and retype my password (under the Wireless Security tab). There appears to be be no option in Connection Editor to save the password, although I have selected Automatically Connect to this Network under the General tab.
… How do I get Mint to do the same?
Mint does normally remember Wi-Fi passwords. Are you referring by “Connection Editor” to the settings accessible in Panel› Network Connections› Wi-Fi› (Auto) Name of your network› Edit… :?: If so, then you must of course Save… the profile after having edited it :wink:

The “Network Connections” are your past connections, i.e. those that you used at least once. There is another way to find them under Panel› Network Settings› Wi-Fi› Name of your network›, whose categories (instead of tabs) are labeled somewhat differently :( , but the contents are essentially the same.

As far as a new connection is concerned, its profile is established when you click onto a network in the panel’s menu and the computer had connected successfully to it. But here too, the default is to “Connect automatically” when the network is available. The only thing that could happen on a new start of the system is that the Wi-Fi gets disabled, either by some software or a dedicated hardware switch :x

Return to “Networking”