IRC channel #linuxmint-debian has been closed

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

IRC channel #linuxmint-debian has been closed

Post by xenopeek »

To those that are using IRC: you will notice when you connect to #linuxmint-debian you will be redirected to #linuxmint-help. The #linuxmint-debian channel has been closed from today because we found users visiting for help too frequently left without resolving their problem. While there are a lot of LMDE users and enthusiasts the fact is its userbase has always been smaller than the main edition's and that was reflected in this channel.

After long discussion and careful consideration in the team, we felt that this channel didn't serve the LMDE users as we had intended and that those users could as well be helped in the #linuxmint-help channel. (Especially considering the upcoming LMDE 2 will be more alike the main edition than LMDE 1 was.)

To assuage any worries about what this means for LMDE's future we're happy to share that LMDE 2 is in active development! It's looking better every day :) LMDE continues to be an important part of the Linux Mint family, and we're proud of the work being done on the upcoming release. For those that missed it, earlier this month Clem wrote a detailed development update: http://segfault.linuxmint.com/2015/02/about-betsy/. We still have to exercise patience, but it's on the horizon :wink:
fayad

Re: IRC channel #linuxmint-debian has been closed

Post by fayad »

Hi Xenopeek. Thanks for the post. Being a debian user it is unfortunate to hear that. I think #linxmint-debian irc was a good compliment for LMDE.

We all know that LM debian edition was out of focus for long, that's because of various reasons. So it is no wonder if there was no activity going on at irc. Now that Betsy is on track many of us Debian users wish LMDE to be a mainstream os, with a healthy competition with ubuntu variant.
The #linuxmint-debian channel has been closed from today because we found users visiting for help too frequently left without resolving their problem.
This is true because I have been there many times under different names, most of the time without any response. This is also because Debian edtition moderators were busy with projects. It is good to add more contributers to LMDE and also bring back the bunch of mods who were contributing for ubuntu edition. That will definitely help Linux Mint Debian Edition to go in the right direction.

Cinnamon is packaged for Debian, there are different libraries, some packages will have to be backported, sysvinit over systemd .. there are enough interesting things around Debian edition for their users to watch and learn, and finally evolve as contributers to LMDE. So LM should have looked at ways to revive the irc instead of closing it down.

LMDE is a project that truly compliments Debian and GNU/Linux. I always feel great when something is done to support Debian. So please let LMDE thrive in every way possible. :)
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

It has never been the same persons, the same question and the same affluence on linuxmint-debian... Exactly like it has never been the same users.
I don't think linuxmint-help will be a good place for LMDE. At least for sure I will not join. I have used both places and linuxmint-debian was the nice one even if I did not join for the last months. Too bad it had been turned off... :?
fayad

Post by fayad »

Besides too much information on #linuxmint-help won't make it easy for others in the room who want to help.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

If the situation changes, a separate help channel for LMDE can always be reinstated. Decision on this was made by development team based on situation past months, for reasons I shared.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”