(Solved) Can't get Broadcom BCM4311 802.11b/g running

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Can't get Broadcom BCM4311 802.11b/g running

Post by JeremyB »

DanielE wrote:Yes it is an acer laptop. It has a switch on the front of the machine. Whenever I would try something new, I'd try this switch, but no led light comes on, it just flashes. I also try to activate it by the icon in the panel but that doesn't help either.
Try the switch and run

Code: Select all

rfkill list all
to see the affect of the switch, we want to see no blocks on the wifi like this

0: phy0: Wireless LAN
   Soft blocked: no
   Hard blocked: no
1: acer-wireless: Wireless LAN
The wireless script showed

Hard blocked: yes
   Soft blocked: yes
and that prevents wifi from being enabled from the Network Manager. Don't rely too much on the wifi light as it might not work correctly in Linux
DanielE

Post by DanielE »

The switch the way I have it now shows this:

JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

DanielE wrote:The switch the way I have it now shows this:

So is the network enabled and able to see your access point? You may have to unplug the ethernet cable to get it to default to wifi
DanielE

Post by DanielE »

YES! Congratulations, you did it. My wifi is up and running. Thank-you very much. After a reboot, the system recognised the wifi.

Thanks again,
Daniel
Krusidull

Re: (Solved) Can't get Broadcom BCM4311 802.11b/g running

Post by Krusidull »

Hi
Just read about the problem with the broadcom BCM4311 and the Acer laptop which looks simular to my problem.

What should I do when I get another result from the code "rfkill list all"?
I get this result:
Soft blocked: yes

Does that mean that I have two drives craching with eachother?
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Short answer: That your wifi is blocked means that either a software component or a hardware component, turned it into airplane mode. This can happen for a variety of reasons depending on your laptop manufacturer & type.

To get help with fixing this problem, please open a new topic in the Wireless category. This one is already marked as solved so it may be overlooked by people trying to help.
If you post the link to your new topic here then I'll see the topic too and will be able to help you.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
vl1969

Post by vl1969 »

Krusidull, you do not need to open another topic, search the forun for bmc4311 and there is a solution already exist, I know because I have seen it last month.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

vl1969, he needs help with a soft block in rfkill, which is not in the standard procedure for BCM4311. I'm still in favour of opening a new topic for Krusidull's problem.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
vl1969

Post by vl1969 »

Albertp, I am not against him opening a new topic, just advise to search the forum as the solution might just be already there. I have the same chipset on my laptop, and had issues with getting it going too, I found the solution here and on one of the Ubuntu forums. 4311 is one of the problematic modules but common enough and old enough. for the help been there for most of the issues you come across. I know I did not open new topic at the time, so...

Also if it is a soft block, don't he just need to edit some config file in /device or something. I remeber when I had issues with my laptop under opensuse that was the way to remove the block.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk
Krusidull

Post by Krusidull »

I'm in here just for a minute, having a very busy week, but just want to say I will look into both of your advice as soon as I get some time for a relaxing computing hour :-)
I've been using Ubuntu alongside with windows for a long time but still feel like a newbe to linux. LinuxMint seem very nice. Just installed it on this old laptop last weekend.
Everything works exept the wired and wifi connection. Can get access with throug usb-connection and my mobile though.

Thank you so far
Krusidull

Post by Krusidull »

AlbertP wrote:Short answer: That your wifi is blocked means that either a software component or a hardware component, turned it into airplane mode. This can happen for a variety of reasons depending on your laptop manufacturer & type.

To get help with fixing this problem, please open a new topic in the Wireless category. This one is already marked as solved so it may be overlooked by people trying to help.
If you post the link to your new topic here then I'll see the topic too and will be able to help you.
Thank you Albert P. I've started a new thread now under networking/wifi. "No wifi or wired connection with Broadcom BCM 94311"

Return to “Networking”