[Solved] Lenovo qualcom atheros AR9565 wifi notworking

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
aeromac

[Solved] Lenovo qualcom atheros AR9565 wifi notworking

Post by aeromac »

I have a lenovo yoga 2 11 laptop with a qualcom atheros AR9565 network adapter and I have no WIFI on my Linux Mint 17.1 Cinnamon. Trying to research what need to be upgraded. is it the Kernel or a driver? My kernel is 3.13.0-37 and I know there are several updated kernels and which one might fix my problem or is it a driver upgrade I need?

Thanks for any help I can get.
Gary Wilkins
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Lenovo qualcom atheros AR9565 wifi notworking

Post by JeremyB »

aeromac wrote:I have a lenovo yoga 2 11 laptop with a qualcom atheros AR9565 network adapter and I have no WIFI on my Linux Mint 17.1 Cinnamon. Trying to research what need to be upgraded. is it the Kernel or a driver? My kernel is 3.13.0-37 and I know there are several updated kernels and which one might fix my problem or is it a driver upgrade I need?

Thanks for any help I can get.
Gary Wilkins
Open a terminal window and enter

Code: Select all

rfkill list all
and paste the results
aeromac

Post by aeromac »

Done that, didn't fix it. Also the Bluetooth hardware shows hard block but it works you can turn on Bluetooth but the wifi won't turn on even when I built a wifi connection with security, DNS servers and such.
everibarra91

Post by everibarra91 »

I personally had this problem and researched all day today. Tried lots of stuff but after inputing the codes :

sudo apt-get update
and

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
it finally fixed the problem after rebooting. Hope it helps, good luck!
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

With the Yoga2 you can go into the Update Manager, click View and then Linux Kernels, then select the 3.16.0-30 kernel to install and your wifi should work again. Lenovo changed how they reported the hard block on these laptops and it caused linux users problems until the kernel developers found the problem and got the patches submitted
aeromac

Post by aeromac »

I thought about upgrading to 3.16, but from everything I have read it's best to stay within the 3.13 and only do point updates which i have. I might just try it and see what happens.

What I have found out is there is two wlan0's in the rfkill list all. there is two wlan0 listed one pci and the other ideapad and it's the ideapad which is listed first and the hardware blocked. I think i might have to black list this some how to remove it from the /etc/modprobe list. Has anyone seen this? Am I on the right track?
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Re: Lenovo qualcom atheros AR9565 wifi notworking

Post by JeremyB »

aeromac wrote:I thought about upgrading to 3.16, but from everything I have read it's best to stay within the 3.13 and only do point updates which i have. I might just try it and see what happens.

What I have found out is there is two wlan0's in the rfkill list all. there is two wlan0 listed one pci and the other ideapad and it's the ideapad which is listed first and the hardware blocked. I think i might have to black list this some how to remove it from the /etc/modprobe list. Has anyone seen this? Am I on the right track?
I wouldn't hesitate to use the 3.16.0-30 and it isn't difficult to remove a kernel by using grub menu at boot(press and hold shift key to make it appear) and select previous version then select the old kernel to boot from and use update manager to remove the newer kernel.
The alternative is usually

sudo modprobe -r ideapad_laptop

sudo rfkill unblock all
and see if it works
aeromac

Post by aeromac »

WHOAH the modprobe -r ideapad_laptop worked. I now have WIFI and i'm back on the kernel 3.13.0.45 version

Thank you.

marked as SOLVED
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Re: Lenovo qualcom atheros AR9565 wifi notworking

Post by JeremyB »

aeromac wrote:WHOAH the modprobe -r ideapad_laptop worked. I now have WIFI and i'm back on the kernel 3.13.0.45 version

Thank you.

marked as SOLVED
You will either need to run the sudo modprobe command after boot/suspend or you can blacklist it

echo "blacklist ideapad_laptop" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/ideapad.conf
Removing ideapad_laptop either by blacklist or modprobe -r may cause FN combos to fail

The code in the 3.16.0-30 changed how ideapad_laptop handles hard blocks for the Yoga models without hardware switches
Last edited by JeremyB on Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aeromac

Post by aeromac »

oh your good. I was just getting ready to ask how to make it permanent. blacklist or add a command to rc.local.

Return to “Networking”