Wireless Worked in Ubuntu, Doesn't in Petra - What to Do?

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Alaksandu

Wireless Worked in Ubuntu, Doesn't in Petra - What to Do?

Post by Alaksandu »

Hello Forum,

I am in the unenviable position of needing an USB adapter for my wireless. I thank you in advance for any help!

My specs:
Linux Mint Petra 64-bit, Xfce.
Asus M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 AMD 880G AM3 ATX motherboard (features three different display ports, but no wireless at all). Also features PCI expansion ports.
Asus N13 wireless USB dongle (with newer, Linux-hating chipset).

The N13 worked in Ubuntu somehow, but doesn't now that I've migrated to (the otherwise-better) Mint.

Searching earlier discussions (here and elsewhere), I found the following:
1) Someone's Dell adapter can be made to work
2) The N13 with newer chipset does not work in Mint, putting in effort doesn't help.
3) One should just give up and use some other solution.

Do I really have to admit defeat right away? I can buy another USB dongle if there's a compatible one, that's no problem. Is it really the case that wireless USB doesn't work anymore?

If there are PCI wireless cards that work on Linux I'm also interested, although that's the secondary option.

(Side note: the forum guidelines said I should paste sudo /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintWifi/mintWifi.py if I have problems with my "network card". I'm guessing this doesn't cover USB dongles).

-Alaksandu
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Wireless Worked in Ubuntu, Doesn't in Petra - What to Do

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Alaksandu.

Spotted this: Linux Mint Petra 64-bit, Xfce.
Not the answer which you would like to get, but no use spending time in making Mint 16 work. Mint 16 has passed the end of its supported life.
Still using Linux Mint 14, 15, or 16? Upgrade to 17 asap! dated July 17th, 2014.

Try out the Linux Mint 17.1 64-bit xfce live system in order to find out whether your wifi adapter is recognized. Linux Mint 17.x is an LTS release, supported till April 2019. Mint 16 was the last non-LTS release, supported only for 9 months like the underyling Ubuntu 13.10.

About the system specifications:
Please, post the output of the commandline

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
Very concise and pretty complete. A good starting point.

Abount Mint provided mintWifi:
From my point of view: too simplistic. Does not provide too many useful details. A much better choice is the script "wireless_script" which the Ubuntu guys in the Ubuntu forums recommend whenever wifi problems need to be analyzed: Before posting in Networking & Wireless => Find the download link and the instruction on how to get it and use it in the linked sticky post, please.
To be honest, I have not tested wireless_script with a USB wifi dongle. And I have not followed too many Ubuntu forum threads about trouble shooting USB wifi dongles, either. So I cannot tell you how much useful output it will generate in such a case.

Cheers,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
Alaksandu

Post by Alaksandu »

Here's the output of the command. Will upgrade soon, should be painless: I don't really have anything important on this install yet (although I have set things up for several hours already).

System:    Host: [NAME] Kernel: 3.11.0-12-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.1) 
           Desktop: Xfce 4.10.2 (Gtk 2.24.20) Distro: Linux Mint 16 Petra
Machine:   Mobo: ASUSTeK model: M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 version: Rev X.0x Bios: American Megatrends version: 1015 date: 03/31/2010
CPU:       Dual core AMD Athlon II X2 250 (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4a svm) bmips: 12054.6 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 800.00 MHz 2: 800.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] RS880 [Radeon HD 4250] bus-ID: 01:05.0 
           X.Org: 1.14.3 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1440x900@59.9hz 
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD RS880 GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 9.2.1 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] RS880 HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 4200 Series] driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 01:05.1
           Card-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:14.2
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.11.0-12-generic
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller 
           driver: r8169 ver: 2.3LK-NAPI port: e800 bus-ID: 06:00.0
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
           Card-2: ASUSTek USB-N13 802.11n Network Adapter (rev. B1) [Realtek RTL8192CU] driver: rtl8192cu usb-ID: 0b05:17ab
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1570.3GB (15.0% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: Hitachi_HDT72503 size: 320.1GB 
           2: id: /dev/sdb model: ST3250318AS size: 250.1GB 3: id: /dev/sdc model: Ext_HDD_1021 size: 1000.2GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 288G used: 4.5G (2%) fs: ext4 ID: /boot size: 236M used: 44M (20%) fs: ext2 
           ID: swap-1 size: 6.17GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 30.0C mobo: 36.0C 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 2960 psu: 1500 sys-1: 1622 
Info:      Processes: 192 Uptime: 5:58 Memory: 901.4/5717.4MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.1 Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4 
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Alaksandu.

The "Network" section in your "inxi" output

Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           Card-2: ASUSTek USB-N13 802.11n Network Adapter (rev. B1) [Realtek RTL8192CU] driver: rtl8192cu usb-ID: 0b05:17ab
suggests that indeed Mint 16 detects the wifi USB adapter "ASUSTek USB-N13 802.11n Network Adapter", loads the driver software "rtl8192cu " and considers the interface "wlan0" "up".
Therefore I am a bit uncertain as to why you state that it does not work?
Currently you are connected to the internet through the wired connection I assume.

If you pull the ethernet cable, after a few seconds the system should report that the wired connection is down.
Also the tiny network manager icon in the bottom panel should change. And you should get a popup notification that wireless network connections are available.
At any rate, when you click on the network manager icon in the bottom panel, a list of the available wifi networks should popup. Does this not happen?
Or what exactly are the symptoms which tell you that your wlan does not work?

Cheers,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
Alaksandu

Post by Alaksandu »

karlchen wrote:Hello, Alaksandu.

The "Network" section in your "inxi" output suggests that indeed Mint 16 detects the wifi USB adapter "ASUSTek USB-N13 802.11n Network Adapter", loads the driver software "rtl8192cu " and considers the interface "wlan0" "up".
Therefore I am a bit uncertain as to why you state that it does not work?
Currently you are connected to the internet through the wired connection I assume.

If you pull the ethernet cable, after a few seconds the system should report that the wired connection is down.
Also the tiny network manager icon in the bottom panel should change. And you should get a popup notification that wireless network connections are available.
At any rate, when you click on the network manager icon in the bottom panel, a list of the available wifi networks should popup. Does this not happen?
Or what exactly are the symptoms which tell you that your wlan does not work?
Hello,

Yes, I tried the wireless first (had installed it on Ubuntu between installing Mint and returning to it). The problem is that it works...and then drops the connection. Any idling on a website seems to drop the connection - I can access the net, and it doesn't say the connection is lost from what I remember (can't access Mint at the moment). However, each new website requires reconnecting through selecting the relevant wireless connection from the menu.

Searching the net, others seem to have had similar problems with the N13 - it drops the connection on Linux, and the fact that it works on my Ubuntu somehow is the exception. This is why my first reaction was to explore other, known-good hardware.

I'm upgrading my Mint to the LTS on Saturday, so I'll get to see if I have better luck then (although I doubt it).
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Alaksandu.

Which Ubuntu version exactly is it that you use and where your USB wifi dongle works flawlessly?

Cheers,
Karl
Lifeline
Alaksandu

Post by Alaksandu »

Which Ubuntu version exactly is it that you use and where your USB wifi dongle works flawlessly?

Cheers,
Karl
Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS .
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Alaksandu wrote:

Cheers,
Karl
Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS .
in that case Mint 13 should work for you it's LTS and supported till 2017.

But you should also be able to get it going with mint 17.1 as mentioned above 16 is a short term release and is no longer supported.
Good luck.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
Alaksandu

Post by Alaksandu »

I am now on 17.1 Rebecca. The problem persists: I can use the net with the wireless adapter, but I have to click its entry in the network menu to reconnect about once per website. Works the same with and without the wired Interent being connected. System info below. Is there some way of more specifically making this install behave like the known-good Ubuntu?

System:    Host: [NAME] Kernel: 3.13.0-37-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.2) 
           Desktop: Xfce 4.11.8 (Gtk 2.24.23) Distro: Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca
Machine:   Mobo: ASUSTeK model: M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 version: Rev X.0x Bios: American Megatrends version: 1015 date: 03/31/2010
CPU:       Dual core AMD Athlon II X2 250 (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4a svm) bmips: 12053.9 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 800.00 MHz 2: 800.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] RS880 [Radeon HD 4250] bus-ID: 01:05.0 
           X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1440x900@59.9hz 
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD RS880 GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.1.3 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] RS880 HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 4200 Series] driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 01:05.1
           Card-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:14.2
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.13.0-37-generic
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1570.3GB (34.2% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: Hitachi_HDT72503 size: 320.1GB 
           2: id: /dev/sdb model: ST3250318AS size: 250.1GB 3: USB id: /dev/sdc model: Ext_HDD_1021 size: 1000.2GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 288G used: 5.2G (2%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 6.17GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 28.0C mobo: 34.0C 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 2960 psu: 1480 sys-1: 1599 
Info:      Processes: 176 Uptime: 7 min Memory: 482.9/5716.9MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.2 Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4 
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

This might work, it usually does.

sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-generic git dkms

git clone http://github.com/lwfinger/rtlwifi_new.git

cd rtlwifi_new

make

sudo make install
Reboot
Alaksandu

Post by Alaksandu »

JeremyB wrote:This might work, it usually does.

cd rtlwifi_new

make

sudo make install
Reboot
Hi,

How do those commands work, exactly? I know the apt-get part, but other than that it's a bit fuzzy (I try to know what I'm making my system do). I guess they download the driver/similar from that site and then process it. But what does the "git clone" part do? Man pages were of no help here.

-Alaksandu
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Re: Wireless Worked in Ubuntu, Doesn't in Petra - What t

Post by JeremyB »

JeremyB wrote:This might work, it usually does.

cd rtlwifi_new

make

sudo make install
Reboot
First command installs the software needed to compile the kernel modules. git clone creates a clone of the code on your hard drive. cd = change directory to the folder, make compiles the modules and you need sudo(super user) to do the install
Alaksandu

Post by Alaksandu »

Unfortunately I'm in the "usually doesn't happen" category this time. My system lost its ability to boot with the wifi adapter plugged in, and now crashes the instant it is plugged in - the screen image stays, but the mouse pointer freezes et cetera.

I moved the rtlwifi directory to my Documents directory after downloading (and of course cd:ed there instead). But since it was all in my home directory anyway, I'm guessing the exact directory doesn't matter, and the code is to blame.

How do I undo the damage?
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Alaksandu wrote:Unfortunately I'm in the "usually doesn't happen" category this time. My system lost its ability to boot with the wifi adapter plugged in, and now crashes the instant it is plugged in - the screen image stays, but the mouse pointer freezes et cetera.

I moved the rtlwifi directory to my Documents directory after downloading (and of course cd:ed there instead). But since it was all in my home directory anyway, I'm guessing the exact directory doesn't matter, and the code is to blame.

How do I undo the damage?
Use Mint's Update Manager, click View and then Linux Kernels and install 3.13.0-44, reboot
Alaksandu

Post by Alaksandu »

JeremyB wrote: Use Mint's Update Manager, click View and then Linux Kernels and install 3.13.0-44, reboot
I notice that that version is not "recommended" like the current one is. Will later updates bring me back to the "mainstream" setup?

I wonder, is there some other way of doing this? Updating the kernel seems like a pretty big change for removing something that didn't work.

I hope I don't come across as difficult: I've just endured almost two years of an Ubuntu supposedly-LTS install which just kept getting worse, so I'm trying to keep my system as comfortably stable as possible.

-Alaksandu
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Alaksandu wrote:
JeremyB wrote: Use Mint's Update Manager, click View and then Linux Kernels and install 3.13.0-44, reboot
I notice that that version is not "recommended" like the current one is. Will later updates bring me back to the "mainstream" setup?

I wonder, is there some other way of doing this? Updating the kernel seems like a pretty big change for removing something that didn't work.

I hope I don't come across as difficult: I've just endured almost two years of an Ubuntu supposedly-LTS install which just kept getting worse, so I'm trying to keep my system as comfortably stable as possible.

-Alaksandu
Use cd to get into the rtlwifi directory and see if

sudo make uninstall
will remove it

It should be good to install as I use it on 2 of my laptops without issue and on a third it caused some lag when scrolling web pages and typing so I used the update manager to remove it. Kernel updates don't bother me as they are easy to fix even if they don't boot by using the grub menu at boot to use an older kernel.

The backports might be better and should override the modules from Larry Finger details in my answer http://askubuntu.com/questions/580551/w ... 536_580578 start at the wget command
Alaksandu

Post by Alaksandu »

Thank you, that worked, now my system works normally again.

Since the adapter stubbornly refuses to work, and since others have given up after trying to get it to work on Mint, I think I'll see if I can find some cheap and supported hardware instead.

Return to “Networking”