Your wireless card or driver does not support Access Point

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
irfanhrt

Your wireless card or driver does not support Access Point

Post by irfanhrt »

Hello friends,.
When i tried to setup a wifi hotspot using ap-hotspot it is showing the message that "Your wireless card or driver does not support Access Point mode". I think it is the problem with my wireless card driver. Once i tried to install an alternative driver which support the Access Point mode and i failed. More over on that process my LAN connection also went wrong because of my wrong installation method.
Actually i wanted to enable a feature by which i want to make a wifi hotspot for my smart phones from my LAN connection of my laptop. I think an updating of the wireless card driver may solve the issue because it can avail the access point mode. Here i want your help to sort this things. I have searched for a solution many times using the search engines but i couldn't find a single useful stuff. Can any one help me?
I am pasting the output of the following command.

irfan@irfan-Lenovo-B490 ~ $ lspci | grep -i Network
02:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM43142 802.11b/g/n (rev 01)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Your wireless card or driver does not support Access Poi

Post by Hoser Rob »

According to this:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/459654/d ... rusty-tahr

you should be using the bcmwl-kernel-source driver in ubuntu 14.04 for that card, and LM 17 is based on 14.04.

The source of that info there is one of the 2 or 3 top wireless experts there, and I'm highly inclined to believe them.

Unfortunately you still may not have AP mode. That's not a driver issue. Some Broadcom wifi cards don't handle it in linux or sometimes even in Windows. Their linux support is patchy. My laptop has one that's always worked perfectly but the one in my netbook gave me lots of problems prior to 14.04.

If you still get AP not-associated with the right driver you may be better off getting a usb wireless dongle that is properly supported in linux.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
irfanhrt

Re: Your wireless card or driver does not support Access Poi

Post by irfanhrt »

Hoser Rob: I tried to create a wifi hotspot in windows since I am using a dual boot system. The attempt was successful and i create it using the command lines. So then It Should be possible in the Linux also with the same wireless card.. is it?

Return to “Networking”