erratic network operation

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tbrownarcher2

erratic network operation

Post by tbrownarcher2 »

My system is the toshiba laptop at the bottom here i don't know of i upgraded the line so it's running LM 17.1 cinnamon and the other side dual boot is windows 7

I am having trouble with the network more specifically the usb or the usb adapters . I have 2 adapters. A linksys Wusb54gc and a Netgear WNA3100 .

They both work sometimes in windows and sometimes not .... the netgear is working right now and the linksys is not. can't get either to work in linux and the message there is the usb wireless is not connected. When I have that problem in windows the message is similar (not connected ) . I'm not sure but I don't think it's a hardware problem. I think it's because my Grand son who is using Minetest and Minecraft videos has brought something on my computer . I'm using eset nod but the trial version is expired ... so I don't know what has happened ..... can't afford to reset eset nod to current ...
Helpplease !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Right now i'm ok and probably as long as i dont' restart i will be but i need both sides of the dual boot

Thanks,
Nate
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: erratic network operation

Post by JeremyB »

tbrownarcher2 wrote:My system is the toshiba laptop at the bottom here i don't know of i upgraded the line so it's running LM 17.1 cinnamon and the other side dual boot is windows 7

I am having trouble with the network more specifically the usb or the usb adapters . I have 2 adapters. A linksys Wusb54gc and a Netgear WNA3100 .

They both work sometimes in windows and sometimes not .... the netgear is working right now and the linksys is not. can't get either to work in linux and the message there is the usb wireless is not connected. When I have that problem in windows the message is similar (not connected ) . I'm not sure but I don't think it's a hardware problem. I think it's because my Grand son who is using Minetest and Minecraft videos has brought something on my computer . I'm using eset nod but the trial version is expired ... so I don't know what has happened ..... can't afford to reset eset nod to current ...
Helpplease !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Right now i'm ok and probably as long as i dont' restart i will be but i need both sides of the dual boot

Thanks,
Nate
I have had both of those wifi cards and the linksys worked much better than the netgear and I think the issue with the netgear was that it used ndiswrapper with winxp drivers. I sent the netgear card to a guru at ubuntuforums.org to see if he could figure it out and it has him stumped....same problem everyone seems to have, it stalls after about 10 minutes.

I would try to boot LM without either wifi card plugged in and then insert them later as there are a few bugs in some of the USB drivers. I know I have tried to help you in the past but does this computer have a PCIe slot for a wifi card?
tbrownarcher2

Post by tbrownarcher2 »

JeremyB:
Thanks for the reply . I'm using usb wifi. well, it's not working . Your question I did not quit understand .. There is an internal wifi and an internal ethernet each in this system.
I am trying to use the wifi cause i want to get rid of all the wire i can .

I thought i could just reinstall linux Mint 17.1 cinnamon but it seems there may be another problem here causing this whole thing.
When I tried to reinstall and it asked me to connect the internet for the installation there was a problem saying the reason there was no connection was that there was a hardware switch turned off. I don't know of any switch anywhere on this machine. This is a toshiba satalite laptop. There is no switch on the usb sticks . I'm stumped .!

I'm now using a new ' D-link DWA 171' . It recognizes it but won't use it the other 2 usb sticks are the netgear and the linksys. They will not work and maybe because of some mysteruous hardware switch. OH ! though I had some trouble with the netgear and the linksys i did finally get them to work but now nothing works at all .

Sorry for running on but i was trying to get exactly what the problem is ... i'm using the same computer but in win 7 .
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

If you have any internet connection in LM run this

Code: Select all

wget -N -t 5 -T 10 http://dl.dropbox.com/u/57264241/wireless_script && chmod +x wireless_script && ./wireless_script
and paste the wireless-info.txt file

If you have no internet with LM, go to http://dl.dropbox.com/u/57264241/wireless_script
Copy everything into a file named wireless_script with no extension after if possible and save onto a USB flash drive or even on the C: drive on the windows machine. Then boot into LM and you should be able to access the Win7 drive under Devices in the file manager and copy it into your home directory. Then you might have to make it executable with

chmod +x wireless_script
and run it with

./wireless_script
Then copy the wireless-info.txt file into the windows drive or USB and paste the info into a post here
tbrownarcher2

Post by tbrownarcher2 »

JeremyB:
Could I accomplish this task with Wine from the linux drive? If I can can you show me how ?

thanks,
Nate

I can't seem to transfer the txt file from the page . I seem to be losing it .... just a simple copy n paste won't work ? drag and drop won't work ?
Last edited by tbrownarcher2 on Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

tbrownarcher2 wrote:JeremyB:
Could I accomplish this task with Wine from the linux drive? If I can can you show me how ?

thanks,
Nate
Unfortunately if you don't have internet access in LM, wine can't do anything
tbrownarcher2

Post by tbrownarcher2 »

Jeremyb:
sorry didn't think of that lol .

My Ifconfig has 2 entries one for lo and the other for ethernet. sholdn't there be something for wifi???????

Thanks,
Nate
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

tbrownarcher2 wrote:Jeremyb:
sorry didn't think of that lol .

My Ifconfig has 2 entries one for lo and the other for ethernet. sholdn't there be something for wifi???????

Thanks,
Nate
With no entry for wifi, it is likely missing a driver
tbrownarcher2

Post by tbrownarcher2 »

Jeremy :
What did you mean by Devices ? I don't seem to have that anywhere?
If you have no internet with LM, go to http://dl.dropbox.com/u/57264241/wireless_script
Copy everything into a file named wireless_script with no extension after if possible and save onto a USB flash drive or even on the C: drive on the windows machine. Then boot into LM and you should be able to access the Win7 drive under Devices in the file manager and copy it into your home directory. Then you might have to make it executable with
thanks,
Nate
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/08oggjena33tm ... 8.png?dl=0
You don't see Devices in file manager, usually one with an odd name is the windows C: drive, mine says TI105957W0C
tbrownarcher2

Post by tbrownarcher2 »

jeremyb:

My devices is there i had the display in the wrong mode .... I'm not sure what to do . I put the file wireless_script with the .txt extension into usb drive then into the Home directory in linux. I do not know what to do with it or how though ?????
I'm not sure how to make it executable
i ran chmod +x wireless_script on it and it turned the file name green but
it will not run the file with ./wireless_script

thanks,
Nate
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

tbrownarcher2 wrote:jeremyb:

My devices is there i had the display in the wrong mode .... I'm not sure what to do . I put the file wireless_script with the .txt extension into usb drive then into the Home directory in linux. I do not know what to do with it or how though ?????
I'm not sure how to make it executable
i ran chmod +x wireless_script on it and it turned the file name green but
it will not run the file with ./wireless_script

thanks,
Nate
Since the name has the .txt extension, use

chmod +x wireless_script.txt && ./wireless_script.txt
tbrownarcher2

Post by tbrownarcher2 »

Jeremy:
The file is now listed in my home directory
it is listed as:
wireless _script again but is listed with a terminal icon for it's type.????
I left click on it and get 4 options i think .... run display and can't remember the other 2

It won't run or i didn't take enough time to let it work it's stuff
it does display

I am stumped

I tried to do the command you gave me with and without .txt and it said it could not find the file

thanks,
Nate
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

tbrownarcher2 wrote:Jeremy:
The file is now listed in my home directory
it is listed as:
wireless _script again but is listed with a terminal icon for it's type.????
I left click on it and get 4 options i think .... run display and can't remember the other 2

It won't run or i didn't take enough time to let it work it's stuff
it does display

I am stumped

I tried to do the command you gave me with and without .txt and it said it could not find the file

thanks,
Nate
Show

ls | grep wire
tbrownarcher2

Post by tbrownarcher2 »

nate@nate ~ $ ls | grep wire
wireless_script
nate@nate ~ $
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

tbrownarcher2 wrote:

nate@nate ~ $ ls | grep wire
wireless_script
nate@nate ~ $
Should just have to

chmod +x ./wireless_script && ./wireless_script
tbrownarcher2

Post by tbrownarcher2 »

Jeremy I bought a new/used computer an acer aspire and it's been working well. Today though it did exactly the same thing with the same message that the network was turned off. I rebooted and it came back on but stay tuned ... if it happens once it will happen again .... just not when you drive it to the shop.

OH! forgot ... this one is a 64 bit computer

thanks,
Nate

Return to “Networking”