School Wifi showing double and won't connect!

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
apanj001
Level 1
Level 1

School Wifi showing double and won't connect!

Post by apanj001 »

Hi Everyone,
I'm running Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca - Cinnamon on a 64-bit Acer Aspire Timeline X 4830T-6402. I've recently started teaching at a high school with a WPA/WPA2 encrypted wifi connection titled "Animo" where only a password is required, but haven't had much luck connecting to it all. All the nearby Windows computers and Macs aren't having any problems with the connection, and whenever I click on the wifi logo in the status bar, there are always 2 separate networks listed under the name "Animo", both differing signals where one is usually around 60%, and the other 90-100%. However, no other computer I've checked at the school is able to pick up 2 Animo networks like mine is doing, and even tech support has said this shouldn't be happening. I've uploaded some screenshots for the settings for when I do try to connect to the Animo network. Moreover, out of trying at least 8 different times to connect over 3 days, I've only been able to successfully connect twice, but I'm not sure if these were after hard boots, restarts, or shut downs. Lastly, when trying to connect, there is usually quite a long time before my computer admits that the connection has failed

Please help me fix this LM Community, wifi at school is essential to the lessons I teach my kids everyday!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Kalyk
Level 5
Level 5

Re: School Wifi showing double and won't connect!

Post by Kalyk »

Hello and welcome to this forum!!

Not an expert in this territory but I'll give it a try.
First thing: the dual network is probably because there is a wifi repeater installed and you see them both.
But I don't know why your network driver doesn't see that it needs to see them as one.
In the second printscreen I see a cloned address mentioned.
Perhaps there you need to put the macaddress of the other Animo network so that the computer knows they belong to one another.

If this doesn't work then you might try installing wicd instead of network manager, perhaps search this forum for wicd to get more information.

And it might be that your network driver isn't troublefree, you might want to use the update manager to update the kernel to 3.16.0-29.

If all this doesn't work then the command inxi -Fxz might tell some more about your hardware for further troubleshooting.
Add (Solved) to the topic-title of the first post when appropriate so others know they might find a solution here.

Return to “Networking”