Connecting to Xfinity WiFi

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dfisher052

Connecting to Xfinity WiFi

Post by dfisher052 »

I have an Acer Netbook. It is dual boot XP & Linux Mint 17.1 Mate 32 bit. I use it for when I travel (because of small size). I want to be able to connect on the road to the Xfinity WiFi hotspots because I have a Comcast account. My problem is that it wont see Xfinity as a connection in Linux.
In my home both Xp & Linux will see and connect to my home router. My other computers, A Windows 7 Desktop & Windows 7 laptop both will see and connect to the Xfinity WiFi router in my neighborhood, but the Netbook in XP does see and connect to Xfinity, but in Linux it does not even see a connection for Xfinity. I'm looking for a possible solution to the problem.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dfisher052

Re: Connecting to Xfinity WiFi

Post by dfisher052 »

Never Mind... I solved the problem myself. It was so easy. Just in case anyone needs the info for the future:
Right click on the WiFi connection in the task bar (right side)/Edit Connections/Add.
Choose a connection type/select Wi-Fi
in SSID type in Xfinity/save.
Up comes Xfinity and just enter your Comcast info.

Of course it will only connect if you are a Comcast customer.
royal_Panic

Re: Connecting to Xfinity WiFi

Post by royal_Panic »

in SSID type in Xfinity/save.
So I ran into this problem a couple days ago, and found that the solution above works, with a minor hitch.

Do not just type `Xfinity` for your SSID!
Comcast hotspots can have a variety of SSIDss which makes it difficult to make a simple catch-all solution. Take note of the SSID of the hotspot you're connecting to. I've found the most common names to be:

Code: Select all

xfinitywifi, Xfinity, XFINITY, xfinity-wifi

Return to “Networking”