Wireless Printing

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
exsencon

Wireless Printing

Post by exsencon »

I have a Brother DCP-195C printer usb-connected to my desktop.
I installed Mint 17.1 on my laptop and wanted to print wireless over my home network.
I went to the official Brother website, found the printers for my machine,installed them (fine,no errors)
There are two files, a lpr and a cupswrapper file.
I added a wireless printer with lpd://IPaddress of the printer on the desktop/binary_p1
Well, I always get the same answer: the printer does not respond or might not be connected.
So I tried to print via samba and that works!
Now since I have a working wireless printer with samba,I am happy but still curious about the thing not working with the installed drivers alone, it should IMO.
Before Mint I had Ubuntu 10.10 and there it worked, installed Ubuntu 14.10 and it didn't work anymore. Since I had other problems with the new Ubuntu I switched to Mint and I am pleased with it.
Anybody has a clue about this problem?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Wireless Printing

Post by coffee412 »

On the brother website when you go to download the drivers there are instructions for setting up the printer. What you want to use is the install program they wrote. Simply follow the instructions for untarring it and running it. Therefore, What I would do is delete the installed printer you have done already. Then download the install program, untar it, run it with the suggested settings along with the command.

What I try and do as far as setting up the printer is have it use an ip address that is not in the routers dynamically assigned range. So, If your router assigns ip addresses in the range of 100-150 (192.168.0.100 to 150) then see if you can give the priner an address outside that range like 160. This will keep the ip address from changing and causing problems down the road.

If your still having issues post back with whatever problems you are having.

coffee
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
Dell PE T610, Dell PE T710
- List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
exsencon

Post by exsencon »

Well, I tried again. Deleted the drivers an downloaded again and installed, again-no issues.
But the result is the same: The printer is not responding.
Now, it is not that big a deal for me since printing with samba works perfect,but still it should work just with the installed drivers and without samba. Kind of a computer-network mystery here I think.
BTW, my local network works perfectly both ways (Linux-Win and Win-Linux)
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

Did you run the install program or just install the drivers?

There are 3 downloads available. The cups wrapper, The LPD driver and install program.

If you download the install program and untar it (its like a zip file) Then run it in a term window it will ask you some basic questions about your printer and set everything up for you.

I have the feeling that your just downloading and installing the drivers. If thats the case then you should be able to click on 'add printer' and choose 'network printer'. If it does not find it in about a minute or less then click on 'find printer' and in the host spot type in the ip address of the printer.

See if the auto find works or the 'find printer' works before downloading the install program.

If you cannot locate your ip address of the printer then go to the printer and look in the menus to print information on your printer. Alot of times it will print out its ip address that you can use in setting up the printer.

coffee
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
exsencon

Post by exsencon »

To be honest,I did it both ways.
First I installed the 2 drivers again (lpr and cupswrapper)-no luck
Then I did it with the installer, same result: Printer is not responding
The auto find printer gives me the samba printer and that works fine.
I guess I'll have to do with that, although I admit it still bothers me.
If you have another suggestion, I am always ready to try.
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

exsencon wrote:To be honest,I did it both ways.
First I installed the 2 drivers again (lpr and cupswrapper)-no luck
Then I did it with the installer, same result: Printer is not responding
The auto find printer gives me the samba printer and that works fine.
I guess I'll have to do with that, although I admit it still bothers me.
If you have another suggestion, I am always ready to try.
Ok, Lets get some info and go from there.

What is the ip address of the wireless printer and that of your computer?

coffee
exsencon

Post by exsencon »

Ok, Wireless printer (usb-connected to the desktop) 192.168.0.170
Laptop (from where where I would like to do the wireless printing) 192.168.0.234
That's it really.
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

ok.

Go to menu/admin/printers.
Select add
Select Network Printer
Select Find Network Printer
Put 192.168.0.170 in the host box.
Click on Find

Does it find it?

coffee
panorain
Level 5
Level 5

Post by panorain »

To list all the 'Brother printer' drivers/packages installed on your laptop <--thats the one your running LinuxMint 17.1 on; you can check that by:

opening terminal:

Code: Select all

dpkg -l | grep Brother
I have a MFC-295CN and the following is what the above command outputs in the terminal.

ii brmfcfaxcups 1.0.0-2 i386 Brother MFC/FAX fax share function driver
ii brmfcfaxlpd 1.0.0-2 i386 Brother MFC-FAX LPD driver
ii brscan-skey 0.2.4-1 i386 Brother Linux scanner S-KEY tool
ii brscan3 0.2.11-4 i386 Brother Scanner Driver
ii mfc295cncupswrapper 1.1.3-1 i386 Brother CUPS Inkjet Printer Definitions
ii mfc295cnlpr 1.1.3-1 i386 Brother lpr Inkjet Printer Definitions
ii printer-driver-ptouch 1.3-8 i386 printer driver Brother P-touch label printers

Don't forget to do the prerequisites found on the 'Brother Printer' website before installing any of the Brother-printer-drivers look through them closely. Keep an eye out when following the prerequistes as far as 64 or 32 bit Debian also <--Mint 17 seems easier than Mint 13 as I have found no need to put 'Apparmor' into complain mode. The driver install package is idealy what you would want to initially start with; not cups/lpd they have that package-installer listed there on the site at least for the MFC-295CN and MFC-j475dw

Hope i'm not making this anymore confusing but I noticed the post. I also have no experience with Samba just to point that out.

If you decide to start fresh don't hesitate to pull/remove the existing Brother drivers out with a 'dpkg --purge driver-name' command in terminal; and start fresh again. make sure to reboot afterwards or restart cups.

Make sure to reboot afterwards and plug the printer in as well as turn it on. If I were you I would try and run the printer straight off your router and eliminate the need to run Samba at all depending if the windows version you are using has driver support for 'full' wireless no cable connected to any pc only over lan. <--I have no experience with Samba.

Thanks,
Linux Mint 21.2 Victoria
Always =updatedb=
GNU/LINUX
exsencon

Post by exsencon »

coffee412 wrote:ok.

Select add
Select Network Printer
Click on Find

Does it find it?

coffee
He finds smb://192.168.0.170/Printer3 and that is correct I think (I am adding a printer) but he doesn't find any lpd file or printer whatsoever, just the smb printer.

This is my dpkg -l | grep Brother file:

ii brscan-skey 0.2.4-1 amd64 Brother Linux scanner S-KEY tool
ii brscan3 0.2.11-5 amd64 Brother Scanner Driver
ii dcp195ccupswrapper 1.1.3-1 i386 Brother CUPS Inkjet Printer Definitions
ii dcp195clpr 1.1.3-1 i386 Brother lpr Inkjet Printer Definitions
ii printer-driver-ptouch 1.3-8 amd64 printer driver Brother P-touch label printers
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

exsencon wrote:
coffee412 wrote:ok.

Select add
Select Network Printer
Click on Find

Does it find it?

coffee
He finds smb://192.168.0.170/Printer3 and that is correct I think (I am adding a printer) but he doesn't find any lpd file or printer whatsoever, just the smb printer.
I am curious as to why using samba to print? This is supposed to be a wireless printing setup. Therefore, Windows isnt even involved. Unless its got a usb cable connected to a windows box and shared out? Perhaps thats the issue?

coffee
exsencon

Post by exsencon »

Yes indeed. The printer itself isn't wireless. It is usb-connected to my desktop and there I have (among other OS) a WinXP with the printer shared over my local network. That's the way it worked in Ubuntu 10.10. Didn't need samba there.
What I wanted to do is really the same thing. Never thought of using samba for it, but it seems this is the only possibility for me right now. I only used samba because I couldn't connect with the regular lpd file which in my opinion shouldn't have been a problem at all.
So if that's really the issue, then I think we are done here, because as I understand it, it is not going to work, not with Mint, not with the new Ubuntu 14.10.
I still find it strange that a system that worked perfectly before doesn't with a new distro that's supposed to be even better.
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

AHHH.

When setting up a printer there are three ways to do it.

1. USB - Connected to a computer and shared out to other computers on the network.
2. Wired - Printer is not connected to any computer. It sits connected to network and all computers access it via the network connection.
3. WIreless - Same as above except wireless is used to connect for wireless devices. The printer still is not connected to any one computer via USB or wired connection. It connects to the router via wireless and also your wireless devices you print from

If you are going to continue to share it thru windows then you are all set and use the smb driver configuration. If you dualboot that computer alot but still need to share it out to others then I recommend removing the printer in windows and unplug the usb cable. Then make sure the printer can connect to the router via wireless.

Then you will have no problems. You will have to remove all your "installed" printers. Dont worry about the driver install. You do not have to re-install the drivers. Just remove your printers and re add them as a networked printer. You may have to specify the ip address. Also to be sure, Restart your printer after unconnecting the usb cable.

Either USB, Wired, Wireless. Never 2 at a time :)

coffee
exsencon

Post by exsencon »

Well,I don't know because that was exactly the system I had before moving to a newer distro.
I had a Desktop with printer usb-connected. On the desktop a WinXP and some linuxes.
Laptop: dualboot WinXP-Ubuntu 10.10 (now Mint 17.1)
I printed wireless from the laptop to the printer (usb-connected to the desktop) without any problems, no samba there,just the lpd://IP address/binary_p1
It's only because I couldn't do it anymore with my new laptop distro that I started to use samba.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

Try your wi-fi printer with the Firewall turned off.

If it works then write a couple of exceptions for the firewall programme.

http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=185165
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
panorain
Level 5
Level 5

Post by panorain »

I am wondering at this point if the Brother DCP-195C even has wireless capabilities as from my experience the Brother MFC-295CN does not.

Brother Industries Website link: --> http://www.brother-usa.com/Printer/?WT. ... LCHdPm37tS

Support -> Downloads -> Drill down -> MultiFunction Center (MFC and DCP series)

I am only able to pull up a DCP-165CP not a DCP-195C nevertheless if you tick/select on DCP-165CP looks to me like this printer has no wireless capability though it does have wired capability and usb capability. <--Just my observation as it seems like a real similar printer to the MFC-295CN model I have. The drivers 'exsencon' has installed look good to me as far as being correct from what I can tell. <--Although no fax drivers are installed at this point on exsencon's his system - from what I saw Via the output of:

Code: Select all

dpkg -l | grep Brother
@coffee412 thank you for stating the 3 different types of printer connections possible. I did not know the difference between the 3 options before you took the time to write that out/explained that clearly.

My suggestion would be to connect the printer 'wired' to your wireless router via ethernet cable. I believe the gateway should be set in the printers interface 'no external software needed' to 192.168.001.001 on this Brother unit. Subnet mask is at 255.255.255.000 and boot method set to auto. if your gonna do this then set your tcp/ip-address to an ip say 192.168.1.9 in the printer's interface and then - After/When/If you 'wire' it to the router go into your routers gui config and reserve an address on the 'LAN' for it say 192.168.1.9 THE SAME. That way non of your other equiptment will interfere. Then as far as 'CUPS' I attached a screenshot of what is known to work on LinuxMint 17 - 13. Apparently during the setup the 'Jetdirect' interface option is prefered for ease of use.

Hope this helps problem may already be solved but I wanted your opinions also. This is what I have done with the MFC-295CN and it seems fully functional.

The issue you would have possibly is making sure on your Windows machine to have the correct drivers installed for the printer same route as you have already done with your Laptop.

Thanks, let me know if you have time what you decided to do or how it worked out.
Linux Mint 21.2 Victoria
Always =updatedb=
GNU/LINUX
exsencon

Post by exsencon »

First of all,thanks to all you guys for staying with me.

Now, I did a sudo ufw status and it came back with: "inactive"
So everything should just go through.

And no, Brother DCP195C does not have wireless capabilties of itself. It is just usb connected to my Desktop (and the desktop has an ethernet connection-no wireless).
Laptop IS wireless and connects to the desktop both ways.
DCP195C does not have fax capabilities, it has print-copy-scan. I didn't bother about the scan-yet.
My point is that everything worked fine with my old distro (Ubuntu 10.10), just installed the Brother drivers on my laptop,and didn't have to do anything really; just put in the lpd file and up it went. Never used samba for it.
Now I have to use samba because it's the only way to get to my printer since the lpd file doesn't work: Printer does
not respond or the printer may not be connected, that's what I get. Now,ok it is not physically connected to the laptop but should be connected via my home network,after all samba is, so why can't a simple lpd://ipaddress/binary_p1 file not do it?
panorain
Level 5
Level 5

Post by panorain »

Dunno but give us a screenshot or 2 of what you have going on at this point 'upload attachment' via forums after you ensure your laptop is on Mint .. one can do 'Menu ..... Look down at search and input ->screenshot -->select area to grab. To me it seems like your stuck on wanting to USB via Windows nothing wrong with that I guess. <--I would recommend hooking that Unit up 'wired' to your router.

I am sorry It is difficult I actually have gone through it myself but nothing is easy seems like. Just relax you'll get it.

I think you might be able to 'wire' that printer right into your router. Slow down with it all and take your time to read over the above posts. Once you get it set up .. it's solid.

Edit: I really would recommend installing the 'driver instal tool' found on the Brother website. Besides if the printer is attached via USB you will always have to keep the machine that the printer is attached to 'ON' while trying to print while using another machine. This link might help but anything running a newer kernel such as 3.13.etc scanner works fine no need to manually edit /lib/udev/rules.d/40-libsane.rules <--the entry # Brother scanners
ATTRS{idVendor}=="04f9", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes" <--is already in the file now. I would recommend a 'wired' setup for your printer at this point with what I have learned.
http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.p ... 68410.html

Thanks,
Linux Mint 21.2 Victoria
Always =updatedb=
GNU/LINUX
exsencon

Post by exsencon »

Well,i did about everything that's in the books, but no luck.
The only thing that works for me is printing with samba, so I just take that because it works real fine.
Still a bit frustrated i could'nt do it with a simple lpd file that was so simple to set up with my old Ubuntu 10.10, but so be it.
Anyway, thanks all you guys for the help.
panorain
Level 5
Level 5

Post by panorain »

Sorry to write back again but can I ask specifically what 'lpd' file you were using with 10.10 it would be a good thing for everyone to know.

The Brother Printer website has 'lpd' driver/files for faxing and printing. I do not have no knowledge about 'Samba'.
http://support.brother.com/g/b/productt ... cp195c_all <--but I think you are looking in the wrong place. Even though I know nothing about Samba.

As I actually used the 'Bing' search engine to lookup 'Brother DCP-195C" you are actually right the whole way along. I think you want to be looking at 'LPR' support or if you can jet direct with 'CUPS'. Brother 'LPD' drivers are completely different than 'LPR'. Remember this regardless: One would want to install the 'Brother LPD fax driver' for fax support. LPR is a package that works withing cups to even help your ability to print. <--With or without Samba.

Thanks for writing back either way. I do apologize for asking so many questions I was just trying to help.

I just actually got through a big problem setting up the Brother MFC-295CN wired on the LAN for faxing would not work without the 'LPD' fax driver installed. <--granted your printer does not support faxing. Just wanted to add that in as far as 'Brother Printer' driver's etc. Stick with LPR for your printer no need to look at LPD drivers with your particular printer.

Thanks,
Linux Mint 21.2 Victoria
Always =updatedb=
GNU/LINUX

Return to “Networking”