Constant network usage after upgrade from 17 to 17.1

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RevHardt

Constant network usage after upgrade from 17 to 17.1

Post by RevHardt »

64-bit 17.1 Rebecca Cinnamon here on wireless-only network.
IP traffic monitor (iptraf) shows endless new entries of:

Code: Select all

UDP (1368 bytes) from 10.2.2.56:20004 to 224.11.16.28:6000 (src HWaddr 00233ea930e8) on wlan0
This is eating away at my bandwidth without mercy.
I have another machine running 17 Qiana KDE on the same wireless network, and that has no such activity.

How do I stop this, or at least pinpoint the offending process?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ericore

Re: Constant network usage after upgrade from 17 to 17.1

Post by ericore »

RevHardt wrote:64-bit 17.1 Rebecca Cinnamon here on wireless-only network.

UDP (1368 bytes) from 10.2.2.56:20004 to 224.11.16.28:6000 (src HWaddr 00233ea930e8) on wlan0
I have another machine running 17 Qiana KDE on the same wireless network, and that has no such activity.

I haven't tried version 17, but I have noticed that 17.1 uses 0.5 to 2.5 kb every second, I thought maybe it was my VPN.
That's why I'm looking for a package that will show me how much bandwidth each process uses.
ericore

Re: Constant network usage after upgrade from 17 to 17.1

Post by ericore »

RevHardt wrote:64-bit 17.1 Rebecca Cinnamon here on wireless-only network.

Install nethogs
In a Terminal, run: ifconfig -a

One of the devices you will see is:
lo Link encap:Local Loopback

The Purpose of Loopback

When a network interface is disconnected--for example, when an Ethernet port is unplugged or Wi-Fi is turned off or not associated with an access point--no communication on that interface is possible, not even communication between your computer and itself. The loopback interface does not represent any actual hardware, but exists so applications running on your computer can always connect to servers on the same machine.

The other devices you will see are either ethernet, wireless or VPN.
In my case, tun0 for VPN and wlan0 for wireless

Now if you use a VPN you actually have to monitor the VPN device over the wireless or ethernet.
So in my case, in terminal I type: sudo nethogs tun0
If I didn't have a vpn, in my case I would type: sudo nethogs wlan0

That's how its done.
FYI, in my case all responsible processes are wine based.
To find the process responsible, look for the same PIDs in System Monitor which I have reassigned to show up upon Control-Alt-Delete.
You can also sort the processes in System Monitor by PID which makes finding the culprit even faster.
To output to file, use this exact command otherwise the PID will be hard to see: sudo nethogs -d 5 tun0 | sed 's/[^[:print:][:cntrl:]]//g' > output.txt
The -d 5 is critical. Replace tun0 with whatever you are capturing.

Return to “Networking”