[UNSOLVED] Printer will not work on Wi-Fi connection

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Slyde

[UNSOLVED] Printer will not work on Wi-Fi connection

Post by Slyde »

Mint 17.1
Canon MX420

Using a USB connection from my printer to my laptop works fine. But today I hooked up a Cisco router to my modem and printer and my printer no longer works. Maybe I'm adding it incorrectly.

Settings-->Device URI: ipp://127.0.0.1/printers/CanonMX420

Policies: I have Enabled, Accepting Jobs, and Shared all three selected.

But when I try to print a test page, Enabled becomes unselected and I get an error because of that. Every time I select it and try to print the test page, same thing happens. It won't stay selected. Like I said, maybe I don't have the printer added the right way, and that's why the Enabled selection keeps unselecting itself. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Printer will not work on Wi-Fi connection

Post by JeremyB »

If the printer is connected to the router you may have to use add printer once again as the IP for the printer wouldn't be 127.0.0.1, it will likely be a 192.?.?? or 10.?.?.?
Slyde

Re: Printer will not work on Wi-Fi connection

Post by Slyde »

Thanks for the reply, JeremyB.

I did as you suggested, used my IP address rather than the loopback. But it did me no good.

So I deleted the printer and added it again. I selected "Find Network Printer". I gave it my IP address in the Hostname box and it cldn't find the printer. Then I gave it (again) the loopback IP (127.0.0.1) and it found it via SMB instead of IPP that I had to use to add the printer by manually earlier. I added the drivers and all seemed good. But when I tried to print a test page, it prompted me for password with my Mint username already in place. So I gave it...and it was rejected. So I tried the router password...and was rejected there too. I don't know what to do. I mean, besides these two that I mentioned to you, I have tried a lot of things that I found on Google. But nothing works. I love love love Mint, but this is kinda ridiculous. Any other ideas?

Return to “Networking”