WIFI not connecting automatically

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nefnef

WIFI not connecting automatically

Post by nefnef »

Here is the scenario. If I am connected with my laptop to a WIFI network, then close the lid, then open the laptop at a different location (i.e., out of range of the earlier noted WIFI network), I do not connect to the network at the location I have moved to (i.e., a network already set in my system). Instead, the panel indicator shows that I am connected to the earlier network and it shows the availability of the new WIFI network. I can correct the situation by manually connecting to the new network, which, along with the prior network, is shown as available. (Note: the prior network is definitely not available as it is 3 miles away).

I am using Mint 17.1. However, I had the same problem with Mint 17. I did not have the problem when I was using Ubuntu 12.04.

I opened up the network manager and reset the automatic connections for the various existing WIFI connections that I normally connect to. When I do this, the problem sometimes corrects temporarily but, a day later, the problem returns.

My impression is that the system, after it wakes up (i.e., after I open the lid), does not realize that it is not connected to the earlier network. As a result, automatic login is not triggered. My wireless information is as follows:

Code: Select all

sudo lspci -vq | grep -i wireless -B 1 -A 5
12:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)
	Subsystem: Dell Wireless 1502 802.11bgn Half-size Mini PCIe Card
	Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 17
	Memory at fbe00000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
	Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 3
	Capabilities: [50] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit-
	Capabilities: [60] Express Legacy Endpoint, MSI 00
My computer is a Dell 15R laptop.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ktheking

Re: WIFI not connecting automatically

Post by ktheking »

check some of the solutions offered here : https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1286552
Prior to testing if it works ,makes sure you've downloaded this thread somewhere ,and note down what you're doing.
Above all , make sure you create a backup of each file prior to changing it.
You might need to enter into sudo ,or change to root (sudo su -) for changing some of the solutions offered in this thread here above.

Good luck ,and keep us posted.
nefnef

Post by nefnef »

I am going to follow your suggestions, either later tonight or tomorrow. I'll let you know if it works. Thanks.
nefnef

Post by nefnef »

Thanks for pointing out the bug report page. I have read through the bug report page carefully. Unfortunately, I am not sure that is quite my problem.

I do not lose WIFI entirely. And, if I remain in range of the same WIFI network I was on before I closed the lid, my system automatically reconnects.

My problem occurs when I open the lid of my laptop at a different WIFI network from the one I was using when I closed the lid on my laptop. When that situation occurs, I have to manually log on to the new network even though that new WIFI network is one that I have previously logged onto and which is already set in my system as a WIFI Network I can automatically log onto.

My system reports, when I open the lid, that it is still logged onto the prior WIFI network (e.g., still noting the strength of the connection) even though, at that point, I am miles out of range of that WIFI connection. While this might not be what is really occurring, it would appear that the system fails to recognize that it is no longer connected to the out of range WIFI connection and, as a result, does not look to log onto the newly available WIFI connection.

The bug report, by contrast, concerns loss of WIFI entirely.

Return to “Networking”