Mint inaccessible from network after >1 hr

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nsindy

Mint inaccessible from network after >1 hr

Post by nsindy »

Hi there,
I have a mostly windows network plus 1 Raspberry Pi(debian) and 1 Mint box.
Pi functions perfectly 24/7 on this network, always available via SAMBA Share, SSH and TIGHTVNCSERVER.

Mint box right after boot is the same, but 1-3 hours after boot, all 3 means of access always go down and they go down together.
Access to/from the internet is never disturbed; "TeamViewer" for linux is always available & I can remote into the Mint box 24/7 just fine, even after local access has gone down. I rule out wifi problems given this behavior (maybe I shouldn't?)

The following do seem to restore presence to the network after it has gone down, although with a long lag time (~10mins):

Code: Select all

/etc/init.d/ssh restart
sudo service smbd restart
and a re-boot always restores all connectivity immediately.

I am not sure where to go next in order to troubleshoot this further, but any ideas gratefully received. Thanks!

POST_EDIT: I should add that I can do a 3+hr 40Gb file copy via SMB just fine, so as long as the connection is active it does not seem to lose it...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kukamuumuka

Re: Mint inaccessible from network after >1 hr

Post by kukamuumuka »

nsindy wrote: POST_EDIT: I should add that I can do a 3+hr 40Gb file copy via SMB just fine, so as long as the connection is active it does not seem to lose it...
Continuous ping may help.

ping -i 5 someadress.com
PS. Use real address.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

Sounds like the Mint box is saving power, so..
Do you have power control mode to power off the NIC(wifi) to save battery (usually for notebooks), although it can do the same on a desktop..

If it is indeed shutting activity for no apparent reason, then the only real option is the occasional ping to the IP of the RasberryPI you need access to: probably a cron job will be fine as you do seem to only lose it after a time [or you will need to find out why the activity dropouts..]
--additionally, temp control on the Mint power supply, is it dropping devices because of temp issues ??
nsindy

Post by nsindy »

The connection to the internet never goes down, and Mint is always reachable via TeamViewer (Remote control s/w), so the wifi link is never going down. Only Linux accessibility via Samba, SSH server and VNC server is going away as far as the rest of the network can see. But I have added

0 * * * * ping 192.168.1.xxx -c 5 > /dev/null
to Crontab to ping the router every hour. I'll see if it helps...thanks for the suggestion!
nsindy

Post by nsindy »

unfortunately periodic pings did not solve it. The Mint Linux Samba, SSH and VNC services are all disappearing from network visibility while TCP/UDP connections continue to function perfectly - so pretty sure it's not the wifi connection.

Return to “Networking”