Intel Wifi 5100 random failure

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
luis_29

Intel Wifi 5100 random failure

Post by luis_29 »

Hello all.

From time to time, my Intel Wifi adapter fails on cold boot, with messages in the logs like these:

iwlwifi 0000:05:00.0: Time out reading EEPROM[2]
iwlwifi 0000:05:00.0: Unable to init EEPROM

I have tried to reload the module driver with the command:

sudo modprobe iwlwifi

but it doesn't work. The only solution is to reboot. The computer is a Sony Vaio VGN-SR21 laptop, with an Intel 5100 Wifi module and Linux Mint 17 with kernel 3.13.0-24. Most of times, it works OK, this error only happens sometimes.

Any idea to solve the problem?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Intel Wifi 5100 random failure

Post by JeremyB »

luis_29 wrote:Hello all.

From time to time, my Intel Wifi adapter fails on cold boot, with messages in the logs like these:

iwlwifi 0000:05:00.0: Time out reading EEPROM[2]
iwlwifi 0000:05:00.0: Unable to init EEPROM

I have tried to reload the module driver with the command:

sudo modprobe iwlwifi

but it doesn't work. The only solution is to reboot. The computer is a Sony Vaio VGN-SR21 laptop, with an Intel 5100 Wifi module and Linux Mint 17 with kernel 3.13.0-24. Most of times, it works OK, this error only happens sometimes.

Any idea to solve the problem?
Sounds like a total hardware failure might be looming unless removing the card and cleaning the contacts helps
luis_29

Post by luis_29 »

The failure continues happening from time to time. If it is a hardware problem, I understand that nothing can be done except rebooting the system. Is it so?

Best regards.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

luis_29 wrote:The failure continues happening from time to time. If it is a hardware problem, I understand that nothing can be done except rebooting the system. Is it so?

Best regards.
It might be time to replace the wifi card with a new one
Rusty1

Post by Rusty1 »

iwlwifi is problematic in the newer kernels, try seiing ipv6 to ignore in network settings.
luis_29

Post by luis_29 »

Rusty1 wrote:iwlwifi is problematic in the newer kernels, try seiing ipv6 to ignore in network settings.
Thank you. I will try this.
luis_29

Post by luis_29 »

luis_29 wrote:
Rusty1 wrote:iwlwifi is problematic in the newer kernels, try seiing ipv6 to ignore in network settings.
Thank you. I will try this.
Hello all.

Today it has happened again to me, the wifi has not been detected at start. Setting IPv6 to ignore seems to have no effect either.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Before replacing the wireless chipset, you might try a few easy generic measures that often have a positive effect on driver related issues:

Install the latest kernel from the 3.13 series:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... el-updates
(item 3, right column)

Then reboot.

When no improvement: install the latest kernel from the 3.16 series. Then reboot.

When still no improvement: check for a newer BIOS / UEFI and when available, install it.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Return to “Networking”