Problems connecting to my university student Wi-Fi

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Cobra!

Problems connecting to my university student Wi-Fi

Post by Cobra! »

I'm trying to connect to my University wi-fi using my laptop, which has Linux Mint 17.1 (64-bit) installed on it, but when I attempt to connect to it, it does nothing, all it does is bring me to the Wi-Fi connection list, where I have to option to click a play button, which activates the activity indicator, but it just stays like that, nothing changes...

I've tried the command on the "Read before posting" thread, and it says command not found, and I can't download anything, because I have no internet at this moment on the laptop. I've tried creating screenshots, but when transferring them to a uni computer, which uses windows, I get countless errors trying to upload it,including it being too long, or the formatting is wrong.

So what do I do?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kukamuumuka

Re: Problems connecting to my university student Wi-Fi

Post by kukamuumuka »

Do you know the university WPA key?
Cobra!

Post by Cobra! »

I do, but I never get to the part where I enter it in, the dialog box you sent a screenshot of never appears for me...
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

OK, so then hit the terminal to check status
  • iwlist
  • iwscan
  • ifconfig
  • net
  • route
  • ping
..and the results you see, they should help narrow down the problem

You should also try making/creating a new connection (in the network manager GUI program) with the correct UNIV info fields filled in
----or you may need to restart the network manage nm
---or repower your notebook, in order to reinitialize the network device and the nm (Network Manager ) applet
then see your status for the UNIV wifi connector..

The Ubuntu info wiki on WIFI..
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WiFiHowTo
--additionally you have an option to use other choices for network connections than network-manager, examples such as wifiradar, but that shouldn't be necessary unless you absolutely cannot get netman to function to connect to the UNIV system under wpa mode (and you do have to know which wpa mode is in use, IWSCAN can help with that
  • IWSCAN will show the broadcast inf, including the WPA protocol in use by that IP..
Last edited by DrHu on Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pascalanimateur

Post by pascalanimateur »

I had the same problem with my university's network (eduroam) .. it just would not connect whatever wifi adapter I was using.
I solved the problem by manually creating the network connection using WPA2 Enterprise / PEAP and specifying the certificate CA file /usr/share/ca-certificates/mozilla/AddTrust_External_Root.crt

Hope this helps !

Return to “Networking”