No Wireless

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Davidicus

No Wireless

Post by Davidicus »

I successfully installed Linux Mint 17 on to a brand new HP laptop with UEFI and Secure Boot. As i can't stand Windows 8.1, I dumped secure boot,and installed Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit as the only operating system. The only problem I have, is there is no Wireless available. It does work with a LAN cable, so I was able to carry out a full installation with updates, and everything else is fine, Mint Cinnamon was the only version I was able to install. Ubuntu 14,10 would not boot no matter what I did. Any ideas on this one? As I am currnetly using it in a fixed location, it is fine, but at some point I sha'll need to use it for what it is intended. Any ideas folks?

Davidicus
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kukamuumuka

Re: No Wireless

Post by kukamuumuka »

What is the wireless card? The next command tells:

Code: Select all

inxi -N
If Mint is an only operating system, you can use and install it via BIOS mode also, without UEFI.
Davidicus

Post by Davidicus »

Thank you so far. 'inxi -N' gave details of the wired card 1, and the wireless card 2, These are the details of the wireless card:

Card-2: Broadcom BCM43142 802.11b/g/n driver:bcma-psi-bridge. The system seems to recognise it at that point, but there is no trace of a wireless icon on the desktop

Thanks again

Davidicus
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

Davidicus wrote:Thank you so far. 'inxi -N' gave details of the wired card 1, and the wireless card 2, These are the details of the wireless card:

Card-2: Broadcom BCM43142 802.11b/g/n driver:bcma-psi-bridge. The system seems to recognise it at that point, but there is no trace of a wireless icon on the desktop

Thanks again

Davidicus
Google tells:

sudo apt-get install linux-firmware-nonfree
https://translate.google.fi/translate?s ... t=&act=url
Davidicus

Post by Davidicus »

Tnx Again, I'll give it a whirl, and get back to you.

Davidicus
Davidicus

Post by Davidicus »

Tnx Again, I'll give it a whirl, and get back to you.

Davidicus
Davidicus

Post by Davidicus »

Well I tried the code you gave me, but I'm afraid it didn't work. The code was accepted, but absolutely nothing happened at all. When I first got this laptop, it was installed with Windows 8.1. The wireless definately worked then. Keen to dump Windows, I first tried Ubuntu 14.10 which i got to run eventually from live disk. I noticed then that there was no wirelss icon, but didn't think too much of it, as it was a live only version. However, when i went to install it properly, there was still no wireless, so I stopped the installation from live disk, and went back to Windows. Wireless had returned. Very strange. However, i was so keen to get rid of Windows, I decicded that it couldn't be much, so I installed Linux Mint Cinnamon instead, as it was my favourite, but that installed without wireless as well. That's where i am now. Could it be rogue files left behind by Windows? I'm not saying that it's pay-back for dumping Windows, but just some anomaly, as it is strange that it works on wireless with Windows, and not with Ubuntu 14.10, or Mint.

Thanks again for trying anyway,

Davidicus
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

How about some more details?

lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net
It should return similar to before but there should be a [14e4:4365]

If it does show the 14e4:4365 the driver needed is on the media you used to install in /pool/restricted/b/bcmwl
Davidicus

Post by Davidicus »

Thanks for all your help. Some how the code you provided was not accepted. I decided to tackle it another way. As the computer only had an operating system on it, i decided to try a different one. I installed Ubuntu 14.10, and got the same result. It worked on a LAN cable, but no trace of wireless at all! I had other things to do, so turned off. Next day I decided to try again. Turned on with LAN cable attached, I clicked on the 'cable attached' icon, out of curiosity as I did the day before, and low and behold the wireless options were listed! Very strange. It seems to be some kind of software peculiarity, but I'm a happy fellow now. Thanks for sticking with me.

Davidicus
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

I've had a similar problem on an Asus. Maybe this will help: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2181558
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
vl1969

Post by vl1969 »

I had similar experience with my hp setup.
it took several reboots for wireless option to show up under network manager.
don't know why.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Re: No Wireless

Post by JeremyB »

Fred Barclay wrote:I've had a similar problem on an Asus. Maybe this will help: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2181558
That only applies to asus and patches are being applied to newer kernels so hopefully things will work out of the box
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Re: No Wireless

Post by Fred Barclay »

JeremyB wrote:
Fred Barclay wrote:I've had a similar problem on an Asus. Maybe this will help: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2181558
That only applies to asus and patches are being applied to newer kernels so hopefully things will work out of the box
I do hope so. It's slightly disconcerting at first.
I did know that this was applicable only for an Asus but you never know, sometimes things do work for other machines with only a little hacking. Why pass up something that he might be able to use? :D
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
Davidicus

Post by Davidicus »

One way of installing the driver: After installation, you can re-insert the DVD, call up the driver manager, and it is able to locate the driver from the DVD, and hey presto! everything works. However, I have just installed Mint 17.3 on a Lenovo desk-top, and after installation, no drivers again. This didn't matter much as I was running it from a cable as it doesn't need to be moved, but it seems very hit & miss. The problem here was that i couldn't insert a disk this time, as it was installed by a USB stick, and the driver manager didn't recognise it at all. On another one of my lap-tops, i installed 17.3 from disk, and it recognised the wireless driver during normal first-time installation. So in some cases it finds the driver with no problem, and others not so good.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Is this still the BCM43142? Does

uname -r
show 3.19.0-32?

I may have a simple solution
viewtopic.php?f=53&t=218278#p1144876

Then