No WiFi connection after hibernate/suspend-to-disk

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
simplex

No WiFi connection after hibernate/suspend-to-disk

Post by simplex »

I have just installed a fresh Mint 17 Qiana XFCE.

After a hibernate (suspend to disk), networking is disabled in the little applet in the notification bar of the panel. I can re-enable networkíng, but no WiFi connections show up, even though there are 12 WLANs around me. In fact, the little applet does not offer me to re-enable wireless networking, only "networking". Then, nothing happens any more, i.e., I cannot select anything more than just "enable/disable networking".

I have been using LMDE on the same machine for a long time, even with the not-officially supported XFCE desktop, but this problem never showed up.

What can I do?

Thank you,
S.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Re: No WiFi connection after hibernate/suspend-to-disk

Post by Fred Barclay »

First, can you tell me what Mint version and desktop you are using?
Is your machine a lappy or a desktop? If desktop, what type of wifi dongle are you using?
I've had the same problem on a desktop machine running Mint 17 MATE & Cinnamon but figured it was just me. Now I want to do some research.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Re: No WiFi connection after hibernate/suspend-to-disk

Post by JeremyB »

Fred Barclay wrote:First, can you tell me what Mint version and desktop you are using?
Is your machine a lappy or a desktop? If desktop, what type of wifi dongle are you using?
I've had the same problem on a desktop machine running Mint 17 MATE & Cinnamon but figured it was just me. Now I want to do some research.
Might be some clues in

Code: Select all

lsmod
or

rfkill list
if you compare before and after suspend
martywd
Level 3
Level 3

Post by martywd »

Typing the following comand in a Terminal window usually works to get wireless networking working again for me when things go south on return from Suspend:

sudo restart network-manager
... then hit the <Enter> key...

Edit to add 'sudo' to the suggested command...
Last edited by martywd on Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simplex

Post by simplex »

Fred Barclay wrote:First, can you tell me what Mint version and desktop you are using?
I use Mint 17 Qiana XFCE on a Samsing NC10 subnotebook.

$ inxi -N
Network:   Card-1: Qualcomm Atheros AR9287 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) driver: ath9k 
           Card-2: Marvell 88E8040 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller driver: sky2 

simplex

Post by simplex »

martywd wrote:

sudo restart network-manager
Thank you! Seems to solve my problem, at least to be a work-around.

Return to “Networking”