Cant access network shares (anymore) [SOLVED]

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Godspeed77

Cant access network shares (anymore) [SOLVED]

Post by Godspeed77 »

I had to give up on another prob i had; "Realtek Netgear WNA3100M", and to get the wifidongle to work on the old stationary, I installed WIN7 Premium, and got the computer online, I have a couple of WD netdisks on my homenetwork which Ive been able to access from two different Linuxmachines, a Boxeebox (hacket, running mainly XBMC Gotham) two winmachines and several androiddevices. However after I installed (and "fooled around a bit") with the stationary (now running WIN7Premium) I can no longer access the shares from the two Linuxmachines (Mint 17, one 32, the orher 64b) I do the same as Ive always done with success, but now I can no longer access the workgroupfolder, which contains the shares, because it now asks for password "password required for workgroup" It never did this before, Im however not 100% sure it is related to the fact that I just added a WIN7 mashine to the network, but pretty sure its whats causing the prob. I can still access the shares from the androiddevices, and win mashines and the Boxebox (running linux right?) no passwords required... Ive checked the router, and of course the shares are marked for "public access"...

PLEASE HELP!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Cant access network shares (anymore)

Post by altair4 »

If you had an all Linux network or a Linux / OSX network there's an elegant solution to all this. Alas you have Windows and there ain't nothin' elegant about it.

I would first go though the checklist: Samba Browsing Problems Checklist

If we're lucky this will fix things. If not you might want to run the following command:

Code: Select all

testparm -s
It's a reporting tool that tells you how your Samba server ( if you are using one ) and your samba client are set up. If a line appears that looks like this:

encrypt passwords = No
Edit /etc/samba/smb.conf and change it to:

encrypt passwords = Yes
You'd think that since no passwords are being sent that it wouldn't matter if the password is encrypted but a password is sent even with guest access it's just that the password is null. Welcome to the wacky world of Samba.

Then restart samba in this order:

sudo service smbd restart

sudo service nmbd restart
Note: Every time you restart samba ( using Windows rules ) the network goes hysterical and resets the entire network. You need to wait about 5 minutes ( or more ) before you try to access things again.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Godspeed77

Post by Godspeed77 »

Thanks for youre reply. I browsed through the checklist, couldnt find simular prob. As for samba I havent installed it, but the network has been working out of the box (and for about two years, untill the win7 installation) I turned of the win7 machine, and tryed again today to access my shares, on the one machine running mint17 32 bit it now workes, but the shares are no longer in the win Workgroup folder, but directly when I click on network (theres also a sambaserver present there? never seen it before. but on the 64b version when I click on network I can see the two shares (I can now access one of them by clicking on it) the other still asks for pasword etc.) and a folder "windows network" which contains "shared folder" which I cant access (pasword) As I mentioned I can still access the shares from; android devices, 2 win machines, boxeebox, and now also one of the two mint17s...

As for your reply: where do I write the comands? In terminal on the one which cant conect?
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Did not understand your reply.

** The HowTo isn't a list of problems it's a checklist to set your systems up properly.

** Samba isn't something you need to install in Mint both Server and Client are installed and operational by default.

** The fact that your servers appear outside of the workgroup is normal since they are now part of the master browser list.

** If you are seeing servers that you are not familiar with it's possible you are in a different subnet than the rest of your other networked machines.

** The commands I gave above are to be done on all your linux machines.

Why not just connect to these machines directly by ip address?
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Godspeed77

Post by Godspeed77 »

Thank you for trying to help me! apreciate it.

1. Sorry for my bad reply and poor english. Had to write in a hurry, as I want this up and running as fast as possible, so I have make the post and do my "Monkey-troubleshoting" inbetween looking after my kids and while I`m trying to do some work as well...
2. Your right ofcourse, I read through it though, and did find a relevant topic
3. Got it, I wasnt sure if the protocoll needed to be "installed", seem to remeber this had to be done on an earlyer and different Linux distro (some "sambapluggin", but I`m probably remebering it wrong.
4. I wasnt avare I had a "server-service" running, so this I don`t understand, and probaly wont have to either to access my shares.
6. Might be, I have no Idea. All I now this worked flawlessly prior to putting the WIN7 online.
7. Heres a realy stupid qustion (please be patient): is the "CODE ALL:" part of the comand? problay not, what does it then mean?
8. Now we are talking! I opend "nautilus"? (earlyer I have just open the network from "files") and typed in the ip adress, and I got right in! It is still a bit complecated to write in the IP for each time (also the shares have dynamic IP adresses). Is there an easy way to mount the shares on startup (so its just "click and open")

As you already know I`m novice at best when it comes to network, linux, and computers, so the "answer" I`m looking for might be very simple (user-related prob) to fix, All the devices (shares etc) have not been modefied or "tuned", just pluged in after opening, and up intill yesterday I`ve been a happy "newbie-networker".
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

Additionally WIn7x OS now uses a homegroup: that's really just another workgroup, with some extras " to make sharing private (passwords) within windows easier for devices like printers", at least according to Microsoft strategy for their OS (win7x and forwards..)
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... /homegroup
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... networking

Such features can mess up the easy to use options available for cross platform sharing, such as with Linux or Apple.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... =windows-7
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

8. Now we are talking! I opend "nautilus"? (earlyer I have just open the network from "files") and typed in the ip adress, and I got right in! It is still a bit complecated to write in the IP for each time (also the shares have dynamic IP adresses). Is there an easy way to mount the shares on startup (so its just "click and open")
You can give your machines static ip addresses. Most routers can do this these without you having to set in in each OS so I'd check to see if your router can do this. Then you can bookmark each machine in Linux. When you open Nautilus or Nemo and supply the ip address bookmark it: Bookmarks > Add bookmark.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

I looked at your other posting on the WiFi ussue you are having and noticed that you are using the D-Link DIR-810L Router.

DLink routers call this "DHCP Reservation". You supply the ip address you want a given machine to have and select the MAC address of the machine and every time that machine enters the network it's assigned that ip address automatically so you don't have to make any adjustments to DHCP on the OS itself.

From Page 57 of the user's manual:
DHCP_Reservation.png
Godspeed77

Re: Cant access network shares (anymore) [SOLVED]

Post by Godspeed77 »

Thanks a bunch!, its now locked (and loaded?)

So far so good, just hope it remains, I`ll wait a day or two before I close this as "SOLVED", It doesnt work as it used to, but I got a solution that seem to work (as loong as I can access (add and delete files, mainly films and pictures) I`m a happy camper.

Return to “Networking”