Qiana x64 Machines Locked Out of TWC Wifi Modem After...

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pendrifter
Level 3
Level 3

Qiana x64 Machines Locked Out of TWC Wifi Modem After...

Post by pendrifter »

...power loss.

My girlfriend and I have had recurring problems with her Time Warner Cable wifi. We have similar laptops both running Qiana x64. Initially, both machines will connect to her wifi modem and be perfectly happy doing so until the modem experiences a power loss. Then, both machines refuse to reconnect to the network even though nothing has apparently changed; they will in fact not even prompt for a new password, just refuse to reconnect. Tech support always finds that the network name and password are the same, though our Mint machines will immediately grab the connection again once the modem is reset from Time Warner's end. Then the whole cycle starts over again: our lappys will be perfectly happy connecting and reconnecting for days until the power drops, or somebody bumps the cord, etc. Rebooting our machines does nothing. Hard-reseting the modem does nothing. However, a hard cat5 connection to one of the four Ethernet ports on the rear of the machine always works, which is how I'm communicating now.

Somebody please assist; my networking knowledge is rather outdated and was a little sketchy to begin with. Let me know what information you need, and I'll fetch it. Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Host: 82TD Legion 7 16IAX7
Kernel: 6.2.0-34-generic
xox101
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Qiana x64 Machines Locked Out of TWC Wifi Modem After...

Post by xox101 »

I would install a router between the modem and the laptops. The laptops then would connect to the router using DHCP and and the router would be hard wired to the modem. You may need to disable DHCP on the modem if it provides it. This would I think also improve your security as the laptops would no longer be connected directly to the net through the modem.

Unfortunately I am not that well informed as to how a modem from TW actually works, whether it has it's own firewall and DHCP but I'm sure it wouldn't be difficult to find out.

Might be worth asking TW for a new modem as well.

Return to “Networking”