Wifi working at home but not work

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
verbatim87

Wifi working at home but not work

Post by verbatim87 »

I have used linux since May without problems up until about July. Since then Ubuntu/Linux mint have had wifi problems with the internet at work. When I am home I have no internet issues at all.

The wifi does not disconnect but pages and such do not load. I have to constantly turn off and turn on the wifi. It will then last for 30 seconds to a few minutes at most. If I restart my computer I get a decent bit more time.

Code: Select all

lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net
01:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Qualcomm Atheros QCA8171 Gigabit Ethernet [1969:10a1] (rev 13)
	Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Device [1025:076b]
	Kernel driver in use: alx
--
05:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9565 / AR9565 Wireless Network Adapter [168c:0036] (rev 01)
	Subsystem: Lite-On Communications Inc Device [11ad:0632]
	Kernel driver in use: ath9k
Any help would be appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Wifi working at home but not work

Post by JeremyB »

Install pastebin

sudo apt-get install pastebinit
Then at work, run this to download and run the wireless script

wget -N -t 5 -T 10 http://dl.dropbox.com/u/57264241/wireless_script && chmod +x wireless_script && ./wireless_script
When asked if you want to upload to pastebin, choose Y and use the mouse to copy the URL from terminal and paste it in a post

With the Atheros cards that use ath9k, this is sometimes helpful

echo "options ath9k nohwcrypt=1" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/ath9k.conf
Sometimes in large work environments there are multiple access points with the same SSID with different hardware addresses that will cause problems with Ubuntu based OS's like Linux Mint
verbatim87

Post by verbatim87 »

Thank you for the reply

This unfortunately did not help:

echo "options ath9k nohwcrypt=1" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/ath9k.conf
Here is the Pastebin link: http://pastebin.com/0tcqTJRE
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

If the MTBwireless is your work connection, it does seem to have multiple access points with TKIP encryption and that could be the problem but you might have some luck by disabling your firewall
verbatim87

Post by verbatim87 »

:oops: That was it. Thank you very much for your help and time

Return to “Networking”