weak signal and dropping in and out connection

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jermainered

weak signal and dropping in and out connection

Post by jermainered »

Hi all i have recently just taken the plunge and installed linux mint. I am still quite new to linux and learning the system i am writing this now using linux mint and my wifi connection.
The problem is the signal at best is 50% sometimes as low as 40% also the connection drops in and out randomly. Sometimes i can use it for an hour no problems other times its just 5 or 10 minutes a lot of times it reconnects within 30 seconds but after a few disconnects sometimes it wont reconnect until after a system restart.

I have done a little research but like i said i am quite new to linux i read that it could be the power management on the wireless card so i used the terminal and typed 'iwconfig'
and it turns out the power management is of any way here is the result:

jermaine@jermaine-300E4A-300E5A-300E7A ~ $ ipconfig
No command 'ipconfig' found, did you mean:
Command 'ifconfig' from package 'net-tools' (main)
Command 'tpconfig' from package 'tpconfig' (universe)
Command 'iwconfig' from package 'wireless-tools' (main)
ipconfig: command not found
jermaine@jermaine-300E4A-300E5A-300E7A ~ $ iwconfig
eth0 no wireless extensions.

lo no wireless extensions.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11bgn ESSID:"WLC-01-02"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point: 00:1D:E5:4D:D1:61
Bit Rate=1 Mb/s Tx-Power=15 dBm
Retry long limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Power Management:off
Link Quality=38/70 Signal level=-72 dBm
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

jermaine@jermaine-300E4A-300E5A-300E7A ~ $

im not really sure where to go from here so any advice would be appreciated many thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: weak signal and dropping in and out connection

Post by JeremyB »

Might be able to find a fix after installing pastebin to make this easier to attach the results from the wireless script

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install pastebinit

wget -N -t 5 -T 10 http://dl.dropbox.com/u/57264241/wireless_script && chmod +x wireless_script && ./wireless_script
When asked if you wish to upload to pastebin, choose Y and it should give you a URL in the terminal that you can copy with the mouse and paste into your next post
jermainered

Post by jermainered »

ok thanks i have done those steps and here is the url it gave me

http://pastebin.com/CiwVxGUJ
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

jermainered wrote:ok thanks i have done those steps and here is the url it gave me

http://pastebin.com/CiwVxGUJ
Great, can you change encryption/security settings on the AP to WPA2 only? And there seems to be an issue with WMM/QOS not being supported by the AP

It might be worth trying a newer kernel through mint update manager. Open mint update, then click on view and select Linux Kernels and install the newest available- 3.13.0-37 the last I looked
jermainered

Post by jermainered »

Sorry i probably should have mentioned that i am on a establishment monday-friday and the wifi is a system set up for everybody on the establishment so i have no control of the AP.(Distance is not an issue as the nearest AP is about 5 metres away).
I assume that they have WPA and WPA2 set for people whos devices dont support WPA2.
Just for future rereference what is WMM/QOS???.
Ok i have updated to the latest version of the kernel, there is no increase in the signal strength but i have been online for half an hour now as i write this with out a disconnect so hopefully the problem is solved.
If not do i have any other options?
jermainered

Post by jermainered »

Ok i take that back first disconnect after 40 minutes.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

https://community.republicwireless.com/ ... ts%2F91382

You could check the antenna connectors on the card. I don't think this option will help disconnects but it might increase download speed

echo "options iwlwifi 11n_disable=8" | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/iwlwifi.conf
jermainered

Post by jermainered »

If i do this could it affect anything else?
Hope this is not too stupid of a question but i researched my adaptor and what support on linux it has i came across this intel page:
http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/w ... 034398.htm

Does this mean that the latest firmware is already a part of the linux kernel stated there next to my card??
or could i download and install the firmware there on the web page from the link?
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Re: weak signal and dropping in and out connection

Post by JeremyB »

jermainered wrote:If i do this could it affect anything else?
Hope this is not too stupid of a question but i researched my adaptor and what support on linux it has i came across this intel page:
http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/w ... 034398.htm

Does this mean that the latest firmware is already a part of the linux kernel stated there next to my card??
or could i download and install the firmware there on the web page from the link?
I haven't heard of that option making things worse. If it makes things worse you can

sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/iwlwifi.conf
Find the line that says
options iwlwifi 11n_disable=8
And add a # to the beginning and it will be ignored

That does mean you have the latest firmware, although improvents may have been made to the iwlwifi module in newer kernels
jermainered

Post by jermainered »

ok well it didnt make any difference when i tried it. Hmm i guess i have a unsolved problem then. thanks for the advice
jermainered

Post by jermainered »

As I have been downloading and using my internet more I have realised that these disconnections are not as random as I first thought. I have noticed that aslong as I have a constant data flow it does not disconnect. For example I did a large download that took 2 hours no disconnection i also used Google hangout in a video conversation again no disconnection. I'm no expert but it sounds like the connection resets or times out or something when the connection is not active. Would this have any relevance in solving my problem? Any ideas?
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

jermainered wrote:As I have been downloading and using my internet more I have realised that these disconnections are not as random as I first thought. I have noticed that aslong as I have a constant data flow it does not disconnect. For example I did a large download that took 2 hours no disconnection i also used Google hangout in a video conversation again no disconnection. I'm no expert but it sounds like the connection resets or times out or something when the connection is not active. Would this have any relevance in solving my problem? Any ideas?
Sounds like some form of power management at work
jermainered

Post by jermainered »

Well power management is turned of for the WiFi card. And I have checked the main power management for laptop Nothing in there
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Might have to wait for the next disconnect and

dmesg | tail
It might show the reason for the disconnect
jermainered

Post by jermainered »

ok well this was what happend when i ran that code after the disconnect does that just show it trying to reconnect and failing? Ive seen in the software section there is another network manager and i read a few reviews and people said their wireless was having problems and then they tried that network manager and it was better do you think its worth a try?

jermaine@jermaine-300E4A-300E5A-300E7A ~ $ dmesg | tail
[  395.206082] wlan0: authenticate with 00:1d:e5:4e:e4:b1
[  395.216237] wlan0: send auth to 00:1d:e5:4e:e4:b1 (try 1/3)
[  395.323234] wlan0: send auth to 00:1d:e5:4e:e4:b1 (try 2/3)
[  395.345235] wlan0: send auth to 00:1d:e5:4e:e4:b1 (try 3/3)
[  395.366250] wlan0: authentication with 00:1d:e5:4e:e4:b1 timed out
[  407.831658] wlan0: authenticate with 00:1d:e5:4d:d1:61
[  407.840903] wlan0: send auth to 00:1d:e5:4d:d1:61 (try 1/3)
[  407.964637] wlan0: send auth to 00:1d:e5:4d:d1:61 (try 2/3)
[  407.988754] wlan0: send auth to 00:1d:e5:4d:d1:61 (try 3/3)
[  408.011581] wlan0: authentication with 00:1d:e5:4d:d1:61 timed out
jermaine@jermaine-300E4A-300E5A-300E7A ~ $ 

jermainered

wireless connection drops out

Post by jermainered »

Ive recently installed linux mint and the wifi works but the signal is around 40%-50% and if i dont have a constant data flow the connection drops out but if for example i am streaming a video the connection is fine but soon as i stop and i am just browsing the connections drops. Sometimes it reconnects other times i have to turn wireless of and on again. Power management is off on the wireless device, i have the latest kernel and all the general power management general settings are set to do nothing
any ideas?
jermainered

wireless connection drops out

Post by jermainered »

Ive recently installed linux mint and the wifi works but the signal is around 40%-50% and if i dont have a constant data flow the connection drops out but if for example i am streaming a video the connection is fine but soon as i stop and i am just browsing the connections drops. Sometimes it reconnects other times i have to turn wireless of and on again. Power management is off on the wireless device, i have the latest kernel and all the general power management general settings are set to do nothing
any ideas?
jermainered

Post by jermainered »

Think the problem is solved i downloaded wicd network manager installed it and disabled the default network manager. With this network manager i have had up 65% signal strength and a much more stable connection :D
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

jermainered wrote:Think the problem is solved i downloaded wicd network manager installed it and disabled the default network manager. With this network manager i have had up 65% signal strength and a much more stable connection :D
I wonder what WICD did to cause that
jermainered

Post by jermainered »

it would be interesting to know i agree. Im definitley not the first person with this though because i read the reviews of wicd and a few people who were having wifi problems no longer had them after switching to wicd. Problem solved :D

Return to “Networking”