Huawei E3231 dongle and Linux Mint 17

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Darroch

Huawei E3231 dongle and Linux Mint 17

Post by Darroch »

I recently bought a Huawei E3231 unlocked dongle from Ebay, the supplier stating clearly in his/her advert that the dongle could be used with "Windows, MacOS and <b>Linux</b>" to access mobile broadband using a SIM of your choice. After plugging this device into a USB port of my Linux Mint 17 laptop, the dongle connects to a mobile broadband network (diode flashes blue), seems to be recognised by Mint appearing on the system as a Wired Connection. Trouble is that despite the computer recognising the device and connecting to it automatically I seem to have no way obvious to connect the Huawei E3231 to the broadband network to get internet access; the blue diode on the device just keeps on blinking and never turns solid blue indicating that full connection has been achieved.

I'm sure I read somewhere on line that somebody got this device working on an earlier version of Mint but can't remember where.

My system has the 3.13.0-24-generic kernel.

Has anybody out there got the E3231 to connect on MInt or knows how to get it going as a wired connection?

Thank you for reading.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Darroch

Re: Huawei E3231 dongle and Linux Mint 17

Post by Darroch »

Okay.

The saga continues...

In fact the dongle will with many networks set up a connection automatically. I had problems because I use the virtual network giffgaff which uses the O2 network using a different user name, password and apn.

If the dongle doesn't set itself up automatically you may have to setup a profile manually as follows:

(1) Plug the Huawei E3231 into a USB port;
(2) The dongle will either connect and appear as a wireless connection connected automatically or you can connect it manually;
(3) Open a browser;
(4) Access the dongle's management pages by entering http://192.168.1.1
(5) Click on the "Settings" tab;
(6) Click the "New profile" button and enter a name for the new profile, network password, user name and apn.

Done and dusted!

The dongle definitely works perfectly with Linux Mint 17 (Qiana) and using the management pages you can see signal strength and even send and receive SMS messages via the SMS tab!

Only works with an unlocked dongle. With locked dongles you will have to get them unlocked or use a matching SIM.

(If only the modem came with a manual I would have known this from the off.)

Return to “Networking”