Getting WiFi to work on Toshiba NB100 & Mint 17 <SOLVED>

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Bob Unitt
Level 2
Level 2

Re: How to get wireless working on Toshiba NB100 with Mint 1

Post by Bob Unitt »

JeremyB wrote:Can you try 'connect to hidden network' in network manager and choose the connection from the list to connect?
Pressing "connect to hidden network" does absolutely nothing.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

I still wonder about 1 thing, is there a keyboard combo (FN+F?) that will toggle wifi, if there is- try it. I think for whatever reason the rfkill list all may be incorrect. Actually before you try any keyboard combo do

Code: Select all

lshw -C network
and see if it lists wireless as '*-network DISABLED ' then try the keyboard combo and run the lshw -C network command again
Bob Unitt
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Bob Unitt »

JeremyB wrote:I still wonder about 1 thing, is there a keyboard combo (FN+F?) that will toggle wifi, if there is- try it. I think for whatever reason the rfkill list all may be incorrect. Actually before you try any keyboard combo do

lshw -C network
and see if it lists wireless as '*-network DISABLED ' then try the keyboard combo and run the lshw -C network command again
This is the output from the wireless portion of "lshw -C network":

*-network DISABLED
       description: Wireless interface
       product: AR242x / AR542x Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express)
       vendor: Qualcomm Atheros
       physical id: 0
       bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
       logical name: wlan0
       version: 01
       serial: 00:21:63:82:40:b1
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: pm msi pciexpress msix bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
       configuration: broadcast=yes driver=ath5k driverversion=3.13.0-37-generic firmware=N/A latency=0 link=no multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bg
       resources: irq:17 memory:52100000-5210ffff
I also found an NB100 manual online, containing the following :-

Wireless communication switch
You can enable or disable RF transmission(Wireless LAN) functions on and off, with hot keys. No transmissions are sent or received when the hot keysdon’t work.

Wireless Communication Indicator
The wireless communication indicator indicates the status of the wireless communication functions.If you used the Task Bar to disable Wireless LAN, restart the computer or follow the procedures below to enable the system to recognize WirelessLAN. Click [Start] - [Control Panel] - [Performance and Maintenance]-[System]- [Hardware]- [Device Manager]- [Network adaptors], and rightclick the wireless device then choose Enable.

Wireless WAN
Pressing Fn+~ changes wireless WAN On or Off.

Wireless communication
Pressing Fn+F1 changes “Wireless(WLAN/BT/wireless WAN) On/Off”. When user presses Fn + F1, all the wireless should enable.
I tried these key combinations, and although the 'Wireless Communication Indicator' switches on and off as described, the interface stays at 'network DISABLED'.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Verify the rfkill is still no blocks

rfkill list
Then try

sudo ifconfig wlan0 up
Bob Unitt
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Bob Unitt »

SUCCESS !!!! :D

Not quite sure how, as I was trying a lot of things, but I think it was 'rfkill unlock wifi' followed by 'ifconfig wlan0 up' that allowed me to press the 'Connect to Hidden Network' button. I then entered my WFi network details (copied from the laptop) and got a connection. After a reboot I had two copies of that connection profile for some reason, so I deleted the 'spare'; and it all seems to be working OK now.

Thank you very much indeed, JeremyB, for your excellent assistance. I'll now go and mark this thread as 'Solved' :)
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Re: How to get wireless working on Toshiba NB100 with Mi

Post by JeremyB »

Bob Unitt wrote:SUCCESS !!!! :D

Not quite sure how, as I was trying a lot of things, but I think it was 'rfkill unlock wifi' followed by 'ifconfig wlan0 up' that allowed me to press the 'Connect to Hidden Network' button. I then entered my WFi network details (copied from the laptop) and got a connection. After a reboot I had two copies of that connection profile for some reason, so I deleted the 'spare'; and it all seems to be working OK now.

Thank you very much indeed, JeremyB, for your excellent assistance. I'll now go and mark this thread as 'Solved' :)
Good because it was about time to suggest fixing it with a hammer
Bob Unitt
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Re: How to get wireless working on Toshiba NB100 with Mi

Post by Bob Unitt »

JeremyB wrote:Good because it was about time to suggest fixing it with a hammer
The thought had crossed my mind :wink:

Return to “Networking”