Cannot connect at school.

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Mikey1974
Level 1
Level 1

Cannot connect at school.

Post by Mikey1974 »

I have a Toshiba Portege M400 that I am using for school. It is dual booting win XP and Mint 17. I have XP connecting to WIFI at school using same certificate and settings as the cheapo laptop school gave me. I have same certificate and settings in Mint, except for server. On the school given laptop a server is specified under PEAP, but in Mint so such thing for PEAP. If I try to specify server under the IPv4 or 6 tab the "save" button blanks out. How do I specify the server?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mikey1974
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Cannot connect at school.

Post by Mikey1974 »

Forgot to mention, WIFI on Mint is working fine at home, so no driver problems. At school Mint can see the guest and two other school networks. Cannot log onto the guest network, either. Need Wifi to read e-textbooks.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Mikey1974 wrote:I have a Toshiba Portege M400 that I am using for school. It is dual booting win XP and Mint 17. I have XP connecting to WIFI at school using same certificate and settings as the cheapo laptop school gave me. I have same certificate and settings in Mint, except for server. On the school given laptop a server is specified under PEAP, but in Mint so such thing for PEAP. If I try to specify server under the IPv4 or 6 tab the "save" button blanks out. How do I specify the server?
Can you upload a screenshot from the XP computer of these server settings to photobucket or similar
Mikey1974
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mikey1974 »

Here is the screenshot

JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Can you connect without certificate?

I did a google search for ubuntu PEAP "connect to these servers" and a few results that have instructions to enter server info in Windows say not to use a certificate with linux
Mikey1974
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mikey1974 »

Yes, I tried without the certificate.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

I can't read your image files, they are blurry and look just the same whether on the forum page or zoomed..
https://vtluug.org/wiki/PEAP-MSCHAP
  • They tested on Arch Linux, with (ntectl file..)
    netctl
    Tested on Arch Linux with netctl 0.8 (updated on 2013-04-12).
    Create a file, /etc/netctl/VT-Wireless and place this in it:
--their data follows..

--warning about that connection mode; looking there, there may be some settings for the connection you can try

I also don't have enough information about your network card settings (wifi ..)

Return to “Networking”