*SOLVED* Setting up Wifi

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Muk

*SOLVED* Setting up Wifi

Post by Muk »

Okay, this may sound a bit stupid but what is the procedure for setting up a wireless connection in Mint 17 Mate?

Acer Aspire 4520 laptop with NVIDIA GeForce 7000M and AMD 64x2.
64b Qiana w/ Mate desktop

Have had this same machine connect no problem with Maya and Petra but hit a stumbling block in Qiana. I don't believe that it's a driver issue but I'm no techy so I could be wrong. Otherwise system is very stable and likeable. Wired connection works without any issues.

Help!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Muk

Re: *SOLVED* Setting up Wifi

Post by Muk »

Well it turns out that the fix was simple but odd that I'd have to poke and prod for hours before literally stumbling across the solution.
My confusion began with the GUI network setup tools, one being Menu>Preferences>Network Connections The tooltip says "Manage and change your network connection settings" which brings up a box titled "Network Connections" (yay!) and lists existing network connections if any. Buttons on the right hand side are "Add" and below it "Edit" and "Delete" which are grayed out unless a listed connection is selected.
All well and good. In my case it listed my ethernet connection which has worked just fine all along and was set up during install. It seemed to make sense initially that all I had to do was click "Add" and fill in the required information. All seemed to go well but no connection to wireless router could be established.
But Menu>Administration>Network has another tool. The tooltip here says "Configure network devices and connections". Well there we go! Clicking here brings up another box titled "Network Settings" and the "Connections" tab shows three grayed out selection options titled "Wireless connection", Wired connection" and Point to point connection" respectively.
Now HERE you must click on the little padlock and enter the password in order to make any changes. AHA! This has got to be it as we don't want any ordinary user meddling about with important settings. So in I go as superuser and meddle about. :-P
But again, nothing. No matter what configuration options I tried, and I tried every combination I'm sure, seemed to work. I was beginning to think that the Mate team put these tools in place to keep the uninitiated busy.

BY CHANCE I clicked the network connection icon on the panel over by the clock. All this time it had been displaying the "not connected" icon and right-clicking would give options to enable/disable networking, wifi, display connection information, etc. I'd tried these several times prior, and it even brings up the Network Connections thingy if you want. (I guess this is to distract you from actually establishing a connection). But for some reason it never occurred to me to simply left-click on that icon. Why? I have no idea but once I did that the clouds parted and a bright light shone down to the chorus of angels singing and a list of all the available access points appeared and all I had to do was select one and enter the password.

Seriously? Am I that dumb? I sure felt like it at that moment to have spent so many hours of frustration and consternation to perform such a simple task. :roll:

Anyway, just thought I'd share this in the off chance there might be another confused newbie with a similar issue.
cheers

Return to “Networking”