can't get my network to share with my other computers

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tbrownarcher2

can't get my network to share with my other computers

Post by tbrownarcher2 »

I just reinstalled linux mint 17 mate (cinnamon seems to be too much for my computer ) . I can't get my network to share with my other computer (win 7 on the laptop mentioned on the bottom of my posts.

How do i get the networks to read each other ?

thanks,
Nate
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: can't get my network to share with my other computers

Post by altair4 »

I don't know what you mean by " can't get my network to share...".

You can't browse to the other machine - meaning you can't see them under "Network"?
You can a see them but you are denied access.
I'm not even sure we are talking about Samba File Sharing.

Anyway, if it is samba just access the machine directly buy ip address. So for one Linux machine to access another:

Code: Select all

caja smb://192.168.0.100
Linux also understands an mdns qualified host name so you can access it this way:

caja smb://hostname.local
Change 192.168.0.100 and hostname to the ip address or hostname of the machine you are trying to access.

If for some reason you wish to "browse" to the other machines - meaning you expect to see them under "Network" in caja then you need to follow Microsoft's rules so I would go through the checklist: HowTo: Samba Browsing Problems Checklist

I'm shutting down for the day so I'll see you on the other side.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
tbrownarcher2

Post by tbrownarcher2 »

hmmmm! i guess i know very little don't even know enough to ask the question ?

I am not familiar with samba. i looked it up and understand it to be a way to talk to windows ?

I have 2 computers i want them to list each other's files and let me manipulate said files to the extent possible. What I'm wanting to do right now is transfer some pictures and documents over to the linux computer from the Win 7 computer they are both on the internet but i can't look at files either way
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

I have 2 computers i want them to list each other's files and let me manipulate said files to the extent possible. What I'm wanting to do right now is transfer some pictures and documents over to the linux computer from the Win 7 computer they are both on the internet but i can't look at files either way.
That's something else entirely and I hope you don't mean access them over the internet.

*** On the Linux box install the following package:

sudo apt-get install ssh
***On the Windows box install an ssh client. A lot of people use WinSCP: http://www.winscp.net/
Then on Windows you can access the Linux SSH server by host name or ip address.

*** On another linux box :

caja ssh://server
Where "server" can be an ip address, host name, or mdns qualified host name.
The ssh client is already part of the Linux install
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
tbrownarcher2

Post by tbrownarcher2 »

Ok ! let's play like i don't have my system on the internet.

I do have a network or want to have a network @ home. I use to have windows and all of my computers (3) would read the other computers . There are no secrets here so I don't care who gets on and looks. If for some reason I have a desire to put things out on the internet I would like to know how to do that too . But primarily I want a completely OPEN home network . I want to e able to copy from one computer to the other computer any file that i have a desire to do so with.

Thanks,
Nate
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

I never said your system had to be on the internet.

I suggested a way to access your Mint machine by ip address using samba, then I offered a HowTo to make sure things were set up properly, and then I offered you a completely different method using SSH.

It would appear that I am not the right person to help you.
tbrownarcher2

Post by tbrownarcher2 »

Ok then don't . because nothing you said or understood is what i said .

Thanks, Nate
deleted

Post by deleted »

I wrote this:
http://forums.solydxk.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=971
on another forum.

It will work "as is" for Linux Mint to be able to share files with your Win7.
As for Win7 sharing files to Linux Mint, you'll need to enable that from your Win7.

Your router should handle the name to ip address for you (without going out to the internet)

-Hinto
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1661741
  • there is a major thing with windows 7 and samba 3.* for a long time.
    the problem is in windows 7 and not the samba.
    you need to first remove "windows live sign in" components and also to change the sharing to simple file sharing and not the homegroup else you wont be able to access the shares on the samba machine and from the samba machine to windows 7 machine
--post (#6) and # 4 may be an answer; it is still a Samba issue vis-à-vis windows 7x (and that post indicates it is win 7x issue..)

I also find the concept of Homegroup in windows 7x, and later to be very odd and unnecessarily complicating a LAN setup
--which for most is simply a collection of computers tied together via TCP/IP
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... -homegroup
  • Notes
    Computers must be running Windows 7 to participate in a homegroup. HomeGroup is available in all editions of Windows 7. In Windows 7 Starter and Windows 7 Home Basic, you can join a homegroup, but you can’t create one
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... =windows-7
--linked from what is a homegroup above..
--MS idea of why people will want a homegroup, now that they have made one available as a default for that OS..
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Nate
But primarily I want a completely OPEN home network . I want to e able to copy from one computer to the other computer any file that i have a desire to do so with
The network you describe is exactly how my home network is setup. I have no problems sharing files among several computers for home media, laptops, Mint 17,
or Win 7 (which I only occasionally boot to to keep updated).

Guess who helped me in the beginning??----altair4.

I will share my system network settings if you like.

added: oh. and all the computers have internet access.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
tbrownarcher2

Post by tbrownarcher2 »

I will get back to this . My monitor has started messing up seems to be on stand by or something like that when i boot up and won't come off of it ....I have to actualy unplug it
then hop it shows a picture ... most of the time it dont' but sometimes ...... so the monitor is working there must be a setting somewhere. will have to fix this before i go networking

thanks guys,

Nate

Return to “Networking”