odd network behaviour (solved)

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Re: odd network behaviour

Post by JeremyB »

andrew110 wrote:............and now, how do I mark this thread as "Solved"?
Click the edit post on your original post to edit topic

I think the one method in mate edits global settings where the other is per connection. I usually don't use mate but I have one pc with multiple environments, so I might find out how much I can mess things up
andrew110

Post by andrew110 »

JeremyB wrote: Click the edit post on your original post to edit topic

I think the one method in mate edits global settings where the other is per connection. I usually don't use mate but I have one pc with multiple environments, so I might find out how much I can mess things up
thanks for letting me know that, and glad I could give you something interesting to play with! :D
now, I wonder if anyone in the MATE community will read this and start examining the problem........................
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

andrew110 wrote:
JeremyB wrote: Click the edit post on your original post to edit topic

thanks for letting me know that, and glad I could give you something interesting to play with! :D
now, I wonder if anyone in the MATE community will read this and start examining the problem........................
I wonder if there are instructions online on how to use the Networking in Mate? There might be a very good reason it was designed the way it is

I know it is very different than the Networking in Cinnamon which is almost identical to Ubuntu's
andrew110

Post by andrew110 »

JeremyB wrote:
I wonder if there are instructions online on how to use the Networking in Mate? There might be a very good reason it was designed the way it is

I know it is very different than the Networking in Cinnamon which is almost identical to Ubuntu's
I don't know if there's anything online. I have to admit I never thought to search for anything relating to wireless network set-up, but I did go through the User's manual, and the release notes, and neither deal with network set-up in any way. as far as there being a reason for things being the way they are, what sense does it make to have to separate methods for setting up a wireless network, one of which seriously screws things up? I know a lot of stuff gets carried over as 'legacy' code, I just wonder if one of these GUI options is an example of that, and somewhere along the line, it stopped working properly with the other parts of the environment.
interesting thing I have noted: while the laptop connects to the wireless network now, it doesn't do so at start-up, which means the computer 'hangs' while it's starting because it's looking for a network connection. even after it stops looking and allows you to log in, it still takes a couple of minutes before it manages to find the wireless network and connect. it's a good-sized annoyance, one I guess I'll need to do some more research on.
I looked at the Cinnamon environment, and I was intereted, but the first computer I tried a Mint on did a serious 'crash-and-burn' when I tried the Cinnamon version of Mint on it. it ran like a champ with the MATE distro, and I've stayed with it since. the odd ways we chose our distro, no? :mrgreen:

Return to “Networking”