Mint 17 Qiana Wireless Working, but cant connect to internet

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
francoisZA

Mint 17 Qiana Wireless Working, but cant connect to internet

Post by francoisZA »

Hello there.

I am new to Linux and Mint and have come across a problem that I cant seem to find a solution for. I will try to explain my problem.

I have a home wireless network that uses WPA2 security. Most times the following devices is connected:
1x iPhone
1x Android phone
1x Android Tablet
1x HP Laptop
1x Fujitsu Laptop
1x Compaq Laptop
1x Desktop Computer

All the devices listed above connects with no trouble and all of them is able to access the internet. I have a TP-Link router if that makes any difference. The laptops and Desktop computer all runs windows (Windows 8 & Windows 7).

Now on to my problem...

I installed Mint (v17) on my Fujitsu laptop. Installation was fast and worked 100% After installation I was able to connect to the internet and browse. Within a few hours I was suddenly no longer able to access the internet. I was able to connect and disconnect from the network with no issue, but simply was not able to actually browse the internet.

I decided to give Ubuntu a try, and after a few hours of running it I was again no longer able to connect to the internet.

I installed it again a few times, but the same thing happened again every single time.

The strange thing though is that if I set up my iPhone as a hotspot, I am able to connect with no problems.

To make things even weirder sometimes I was able to randomly connect to the internet using my wireless network, and then it would stop working again.

Deciding that I am not going to let it beat me, I decided to try on my Desktop. Exact same problems...

Then I installed it on my Compaq laptop... You guessed it... Same thing happened...

I followed some of the suggested fixes on the forums here, and of course I also googled the problem, but cant really find a working solution.

I hope someone here can help me with the info that I need to fix this. I really like Mint and would like nothing more than to be able to use it!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mangar

Re: Wireless Working, but cant connect to internet

Post by Mangar »

Hello :wink:
1) Sometimes I notice if you miss adding your system info, os and other info threads might get overlooked.
2) This thread is sort of close to your issue http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... ss#p923029
3) sometimes using the search in the top right with "wireless" you can scroll threads if others had problems and how they might have resolved them.

Hope that helps :)
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

Missing/misconfigured DNS settings, Command nm-tool tells your DNS-settings.
francoisZA

Post by francoisZA »

Hey there,

Thanks for the fast replies! In future I will make my thread titles as you suggest!

I have sort of found a fix for it, but obviously it is not something that I can do in the long run...

I noticed that when I am connected to the network, but do not have access to the internet (as per the problem I explained in the main post) and I run MintWifi.py my internet starts working again. Now I have no idea what that means, but if I had to take a guess I would say dns problems maybe?
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

francoisZA wrote: Now I have no idea what that means, but if I had to take a guess I would say dns problems maybe?
If you have faulty DNS-settings, you can connect but you have no internet.
francoisZA

Re: Mint 17 Qiana Wireless Working, but cant connect to inte

Post by francoisZA »

How would I go about fixing my dns settings?
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

francoisZA wrote:How would I go about fixing my dns settings?
Make a /etc/resolv.conf file. An example Google´s public DNS.
https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/?hl=fi
1. Disconnect
2. Open terminal and run

Code: Select all

sudo nano /etc/resolv.conf
... copy the next line

Code: Select all

nameserver 8.8.8.8
3. Save and quit
Ctrl o
Ctrl x
4. Reconnect
francoisZA

Post by francoisZA »

Changing DNS setting has been working perfectly so far. Thanks for the help!
leskieurbiker

Post by leskieurbiker »

I know I'm late on this but I also have a solution. I had this exact problem. I tried multiple solution but none did help. Then I found that someone just changed the channel on his router. It was simple, so I gave it a try. I just changed the channel settings of the router from "auto" to a fixed channel (I choosed 8 ).

So if you have this problem, try this solution first, it is the simplest, and if it doesnt work for you, you can change the settings back as easily. Hope it helps

Return to “Networking”