hide my WIFI SSID and make my computer invisible?

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Brahim Salem

hide my WIFI SSID and make my computer invisible?

Post by Brahim Salem »

I want to know how I can turn my WIFI into a hidden one and make my computer invisible to other clients on my WIFI network :roll:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: hide my WIFI SSID and make my computer invisible?

Post by Pierre »

the SSID is hidden in the routers wifi settings
( show / hide )

the PC is made invisible by blocking all it's outgoing ports
and also it's incoming ports, so that it doesn't respond to requests.

Gibson Research has a good test of what ports are seen:
https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

how can I do that man? There is no hide/show option on my modem manager :(
Hendrick
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Hendrick »

Zorba wrote:I want to know how I can turn my WIFI into a hidden one and make my computer invisible to other clients on my WIFI network :roll:

Don't fool yourself. Programs like inSSIDer can detect your network, whether your SSID is displayed or not.
Better put your time and energy into the true security aspects of your WLAN.

Hendrick
Mint Xfce - Mint Cinnamon - Win11 Pro
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

it will depend on your router:

- WLAN Basic Settings
- SSID Broadcast: enable / disable.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
nomko

Post by nomko »

Hendrick wrote:
Zorba wrote:I want to know how I can turn my WIFI into a hidden one and make my computer invisible to other clients on my WIFI network :roll:

Don't fool yourself. Programs like inSSIDer can detect your network, whether your SSID is displayed or not.
Better put your time and energy into the true security aspects of your WLAN.
Agree!!!

And beside that, turning off SSID is concidered as a security thread. Turning it off cannot be done entirly. The SSID is a broadcasted signal, which is not encrypted, even when it is set to hidden. This signl comes together with all other (wireless) broadcasted signals. The security risk in this is, that when the SSID is turned off, all computers connected to that network will reveal their presence continually. Your computer network device will broadcast a signal to your router to verify if the wireless connection is still up and running. That makes your wireless network vulnerable for hacking. A hidden network still can be detected by networks sniffers like Kismet. It just takes a few seconds to detect wireless networks of which the SSID is turned off....

Best to do is keep SSID enabled so it always braodcast a signal. So, in overall, hidding your network will not increase your network security, that's a very big myth!

All routers come with a factory-standard SSID name, to increase your router security it is recommended to change that factory-standard SSID name into something else. Most SSID's of routers are either a combination of brand and model or the name of your IPS followed by a client number or (internal ISP) serial number.

Also change the WPA key you got with your router. This can be also a factory-standard key which can applied to more routers of the same brand/model. Change it into something else and use a combination of letters and numbers and characters. And keep in mind, the longer the key, the more time it takes to hack that key.

Return to “Networking”