[solved]How can I turn my LM into wifi hotspot?

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
PatH57

Re: How can I turn my LM into wifi hotspot?

Post by PatH57 »

Jahid,

you have downgraded totally your kernel, never ever do that. What's the point of giving you Mint 17 with a tested kernel over 3.13 if you use 3.5 that's even lower then Mint 13
The driver needs to be adapted to your kernel not the other way around, it's a miracle that other things are working. It's like buying a new car ,removing the engine and putting an engine from the 60's in it.
jahid

Post by jahid »

PatH57 wrote:Jahid,

you have downgraded totally your kernel, never ever do that. What's the point of giving you Mint 17 with a tested kernel over 3.13 if you use 3.5 that's even lower then Mint 13
The driver needs to be adapted to your kernel not the other way around, it's a miracle that other things are working. It's like buying a new car ,removing the engine and putting an engine from the 60's in it.
:lol: :lol: :lol: I know that....
but what choice did i have !, I was completely dependent on wifi until I bought that broadband modem last week. :(

I also tested many kernels (different versions of 3.5) and finally got that one working with everything...
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

well one thing is sure hotspot is not going to work unless you have>3.11
try ics. it it could work with a wifi router and your broadband stick.
3.5 will have problems with wpa_supplicant anyway, maybe no encryption or wep
or go back to 3.13 or 3.15 (3.16 is still a bit new) and then hotspot should work.
jahid

Post by jahid »

I have installed new driver and using default kernel now.

Now android can authenticate my hotspot and connects fine but no internet. speed meter in android shows data transmission on low level (1,2kB/s) but I can't browse anything, play store not working.

What may cause this problem?

N.B: I have to disconnect and reconnect the broadband modem every time after running sudo ap-hotspot start because it renders my internet connection unusable..
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

the script used is basic, it works well in these cases that I could test:
- wifi 1 internet, wfifi 2 AP mode
-eth internet , wifi hotpsot

never had to use a broadband to share.
run the wifi script again and post back.
Also check what ip and settings the android unit is getting.
you could try to use NAT between the wwan and wlan cards (not sure how well hotspot can handle this)
jahid

Post by jahid »

When i connected the modem with the software that came with the modem, android was able to connect to the wifi but could not connect to the internet.

I have uninstalled the software, actually I have uninstalled the whole linux system because after uninstalling the software it seemed that the effect of that software was still remaining and the network-manager couldn't connect the modem as it normally do.

Now I am connecting the modem with network-manager and the hotspot working fine and android getting connected and surfing net.... :D

Thank you very much, for all your help, PatH57... :D
PatH57

Re: [solved]How can I turn my LM into wifi hotspot?

Post by PatH57 »

:lol: always keep it simple.
Glad it worked and by the way I love Bengali Kita (had a taste of it when I lived in Saudi Arabia)
jahid

Post by jahid »

New problem arose...

Everything was okay, but frequent disconnection problem was notified though the android speed meter showed continuous speed. But after some time it got completely disconnected. I followed the second link
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Inter ... ionSharing
and learned that the dnsmasq which is installed with ap-hotspot conflicts with network manager.
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

you will have to send me some logs.... I really need to see the exact error messages.
jahid

Post by jahid »

PatH57 wrote:you will have to send me some logs.... I really need to see the exact error messages.
There was no error message. The network manager was constantly showing notification "new device disconnected from the hotspot" and "new device connected to the hotspot" one after another. And after approximately 1 minute the hotspot was no longer found (android couldn't find the hotspot anymore).
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

at least we know it's android specific
any other devise not android you can try to connect to your now new hotspot. (and again it's only a software hotspot so expect items not to work as of a router dedicated sharing)
jahid

Post by jahid »

kde network manager (plasma-nm) seems to do the trick. But connection strength is not that good.. phone is sitting on laptops lap, but still the strength is near 0%, speed is good though...

can i make the plasma-nm default network manager in cinnamon and get rid of the old one? I don't know if that will solve anything at all...though..
jahid

Post by jahid »

kde network manager sustains for a little long but in the end it drops too....
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

check if the stick has power management on, this could be one part of the problem.
jahid

Post by jahid »

The only solution of this problem is to use kde-nm-connection-editor (kde-nm-plasma package).
you don't need to find AP. Just hit Alt+f2 and then type kde-nm-connection-editor and hit Enter. then select (wireles shared), then change security settings as you want. set IPV6 "ignored" (optional).

Return to “Networking”