Can't connect to Belkin F5D8231-4 router

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
PatH57

Re: Can't connect to Belkin F5D8231-4 router

Post by PatH57 »

seems to be the latest anyway.
IEEE 802.11abg ESSID:off/any
Mode:Managed Access Point: Not-Associated Tx-Power=15 dBm
Retry long limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Power Management:off
15 dBm is a bit low let's try to push it

Code: Select all

sudo iwconfig

sudo iw reg set BO

sudo iwconfig wlan0 txpower 20
go from 15 to 20 step bye step (allow a couple of seconds in between and run sudo iwconfig to check it)
carpenzano

Post by carpenzano »

Thanks, I'll follow your suggestion this evening at home and let you know.

While I was waiting for your kind answer, I was thinking again about the fact that my wireless connection was working very well during the installation of Linux Mint and until the first reboot: probably Linux was still using the Windows driver already installed in my computer, wasn't it?
With a research through internet, I discovered that it is possible to install the Windows wireless driver into Linux and use it instead of the Linux native one; please see:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiD ... diswrapper .
Do you think that this could be a solution for my problem?
Thanks again for your help and your patience.
Giovanni
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Re: Can't connect to Belkin F5D8231-4 router

Post by JeremyB »

carpenzano wrote:Thanks, I'll follow your suggestion this evening at home and let you know.

While I was waiting for your kind answer, I was thinking again about the fact that my wireless connection was working very well during the installation of Linux Mint and until the first reboot: probably Linux was still using the Windows driver already installed in my computer, wasn't it?
With a research through internet, I discovered that it is possible to install the Windows wireless driver into Linux and use it instead of the Linux native one; please see:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiD ... diswrapper .
Do you think that this could be a solution for my problem?
Thanks again for your help and your patience.
Giovanni
Please don't use ndiswrapper as this should work with the current intel driver. You could boot into the install disk and run the wireless script again after connecting so we can see what is different
carpenzano

Post by carpenzano »

PatH57 wrote:seems to be the latest anyway.
15 dBm is a bit low let's try to push it

sudo iwconfig

sudo iw reg set BO

sudo iwconfig wlan0 txpower 20
go from 15 to 20 step bye step (allow a couple of seconds in between and run sudo iwconfig to check it)
I've tried a lot of times but the tx-power doesn't change (=15)
Why should I set the reg code to "BO", notwithstanding I am in Italy?
BTW I have tried many times with the reg code set to both "BO" and "IT", but the tx-power doesn't increase.
carpenzano

Re: Re: Can't connect to Belkin F5D8231-4 router

Post by carpenzano »

JeremyB wrote: Please don't use ndiswrapper as this should work with the current intel driver. You could boot into the install disk and run the wireless script again after connecting so we can see what is different
I have booted into the install disk and my wifi connection KarVal works very well :D .
This is the link to the relevant info file http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/8171362/.

Of course, after a reboot from the HD my wifi connection (KarVal) doesn't work again :(

Thanks for any help
Giovanni
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

A kernel update might help, go to mint update and click view, then kernel and select the 3.13.0-34 to install

See if wifi works after a reboot
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Also can you post the result of

lspci
I managed to find a few differences between the wireless-info files you have uploaded
carpenzano

Post by carpenzano »

JeremyB wrote:Also can you post the result of

lspci
I managed to find a few differences between the wireless-info files you have uploaded
This is the link to the output of "lspci" command:
http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/8172900/
Thanks
Giovanni
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Have you tried updating the kernel yet? The difference I saw was normal because of your video card
carpenzano

Post by carpenzano »

JeremyB wrote:A kernel update might help, go to mint update and click view, then kernel and select the 3.13.0-34 to install

I have updated the kernel version to 3.13.0-34, but no connection again
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

carpenzano wrote:
JeremyB wrote:A kernel update might help, go to mint update and click view, then kernel and select the 3.13.0-34 to install

I hope PatH has some ideas, unless blacklisting dell_wmi will help, let's see if I get this right now that I am on a laptop instead of my phone

echo "blacklist dell_wmi" | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
and reboot. Working with a normal keyboard does help
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

this is really strange outside the video card driver nouveau everything is the same (even the dell_wmi)
let's try to reload the firmware

sudo apt-get install --reinstall linux-firmware
also provide the output of

inxi -Fxz
carpenzano

Post by carpenzano »

JeremyB wrote:
carpenzano wrote:

I hope PatH has some ideas, unless blacklisting dell_wmi will help, let's see if I get this right now that I am on a laptop instead of my phone

echo "blacklist dell_wmi" | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
and reboot. Working with a normal keyboard does help
I have blacklisted dell_wmi and rebooted: no connection :-(
Thanks
carpenzano

Post by carpenzano »

PatH57 wrote:this is really strange outside the video card driver nouveau everything is the same (even the dell_wmi)
let's try to reload the firmware

sudo apt-get install --reinstall linux-firmware
also provide the output of

inxi -Fxz
I have reloaded the firmware (1.127.5): no connection :-(
This is the link to the output of inxi -Fxz
http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/8175769/

Thanks again
carpenzano

Post by carpenzano »

PatH57 wrote:this is really strange outside the video card driver nouveau everything is the same (even the dell_wmi)
Should I deblacklist dell_wmi?
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

you can.

another thing I noticed is why are you using a 32 bit version of Mint? your system is well able to cope with a 64 bit version.
the sig_key is different from the live version to the installed version.
I had only one case with another OP where the 32 bit version did not want to connect, we installed the 64 bit and it worked (probably something to do with encryption and driver support)
let's try this first:
remove all the saved wifi settings (right click network applet, edit connections and remove them)
then click on the applet and select connect to hidden wi-fi network, enter the network name and the security wpa/wpa2 personal. Connect.
carpenzano

Post by carpenzano »

PatH57 wrote:you can.

another thing I noticed is why are you using a 32 bit version of Mint? your system is well able to cope with a 64 bit version.
I had only one case with another OP where the 32 bit version did not want to connect, we installed the 64 bit and it worked (probably something to do with encryption and driver support)
let's try this first:
remove all the saved wifi settings (right click network applet, edit connections and remove them)
then click on the applet and select connect to hidden wi-fi network, enter the network name and the security wpa/wpa2 personal. Connect.
Thanks, I'll try with the hidden wi-fi network tomorrow, when I'll be at home again. If it did not work, I'll try the 64 bit version and let you know.
Best regards
Giovanni
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

PatH57 wrote:you can.

let's try this first:
You might be on to something there, I have only installed 64 bit on my laptops including the one that my nephew is using with the 3945 chipset
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

probably but still why live 32 works and not installed one? let's wait and see.
carpenzano

Post by carpenzano »

PatH57 wrote:probably but still why live 32 works and not installed one? let's wait and see.
That's the thing I can't really understand; during the first installation, coming from Windows XP, I thought that Linux was using the Windows drivers, but this cannot be the case when, after having already installed Mint, I made a boot from the installation DVD. Bah..... :shock:

Return to “Networking”