Backup computer - Wireless

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
trope
Level 4
Level 4

Backup computer - Wireless

Post by trope »

I am creating a backup plan for my laptop and would like to get advice on what hardware/software I would need to accomplish this with my system.

I have Linux Mint 14 (nadia) currently but will probably buy a new laptop and do a clean install of17 on it (and then transfer important files from my current laptop).

I would like to have one backup of my computer in the same physical location that would back itself up wirelessly when my laptop is in range. I do not have Internet at home. I would like to have a second, offsite backup (in case there would be a fire in the principal location, or if someone would break in and steal the computer and the backup, eg). This could either be a second physical drive in a place that has an Internet connection, or it could be a cloud backup, but I want to make sure that no one else besides me would be able to access it if it is in the cloud, given that I have sensitive materials on my computer. The idea is that when I have access to the Internet (in public places using a secure VPN to send information over), my computer would automatically back itself up to the offsite location.

What equipment/software would I need to accomplish this, which would be compatible with a linux mint system? I would be excited to have this implemented as I don't backup my materials often enough and it would give a lot of peace of mind. Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aristotelian

Re: Backup computer - Wireless

Post by Aristotelian »

The offsite just depends on your personal preferences, how much data you have and how much you are willing to pay. Depending on your needs, you could easily get by with Dropbox or Box.

There are plenty of ways to do a home backup. My setup is a wireless network using Samba on the server machine and Gigolo on the client machine (your laptop). You can then use a program like LuckyBackup to do the actual backup (I have mine set to back up every time on boot, or you could set it to back up at a certain time of day etc).

Return to “Networking”